Same Variety, Different Leaf Patterns?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polkahero

Reaction score
I've attached pictures of my Hallertau and Centennial hops 4 weeks since I planted. It's harder to tell on the Centennials, but both varieties are showing different leaf patterns between shoots. One shoot has a 3-leaf pattern whereas the other is rounded. Is this normal? Unfortunately my Cascades that I planted at the same time have not emerged yet (it was a smaller rhizome). These are really starting to take off with the upper 80s temps this past week in Michigan!
Hallertau4weeks.jpg

Centennial4weeks.jpg

You know, hops are like grapes in a way. There are variations among leaves even on a single plant, so that it's almost impossible to tell them apart. Grape leaves are the same way- a single plant might have three or four different looking leaves.

That's why hops are almost impossible to identify. The leaves are very similar between varieties and highly variable even on a single plant.

during the first year it is very hard to tell one variety from another until they have produced some substantial vines. they seem to want to hang on to the juvenile leaf structure for a lot longer then once they've been in the ground for a few seasons.

Interesting, the Hallertau on the right is now producing 3-point leaves like the one on the left!

Back