Salivator Doppelbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdfairbairn

Reaction score
Going in the kettle at River Dawg Brewery this Sunday:

10.5# Pilsner (Belgian)
4# Munich
.5# UK Chocolate

Single infusion mash @156F for 45 minutes (according to BeerSmith)

1 oz Hallertau at 60 minutes
.5 oz Saaz at 30 minutes

WLP833 German Bock Lager yeast - still can't get my DIY stirplate to quit throwing the stirbar so no starter!

Cheers!

No starter? NOOOO! :)
It's a huge pain to get the proper yeast count for a big lager like a doppelbock, I recommend pitching on the dregs of something smaller like a helles, or a marzen.
With all the time and effort it takes to make and finish a doppelbock properly, I'd definetly advocate for taking your time and doing it right.

I know ... and if this doesn't work out I will bow to the beer gods and beg forgiveness. In any case, in the end I will still have beer!

:tank:

apologies for the crappy cell phone pic ... thoughts on this crush? corona mill in a bucket

IMAG0229.jpg

busy morning at the Dawg ... from left to right:

chianti: started 20Sep2012, awaiting stabilization and racking off the oak chips for extended aging

savignon blanc: also started 20Sep2012, stabilized and racking off oak chips for extended aging

will probably bottle these sometime towards the end of Q1-2013. the blanc tastes pretty good now, but the chianti definately needs to age

and finally ...

Salivator doppelbock: racked to secondary and ready to move into the "cold room" (storeroom under front porch) to lager 2-4 weeks before bottling. interim gravity was 1.021, to my undereducated mind this lager appears to be progressing quite well considering the lack of a starter.

:mug:

IMAG0248.jpg

Back