Sake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely. Thank you for all your help in helping a sake newb.

I've managed to maintain a temp around 48-49 now. It's my main fridge and I fear all my frozen goods thawing if I do this. I'll see how things work out, but I do appreciate the suggestion.

I had amazing fermentation the first 48-72 hours following the final 5# addition. Since then, there is no airlock activity. Is this standard? The airlock was bubbling what seemed to be about 5X/sec. Never saw fermentation so rapid.

Again, thanks for all your prompt and insightful help!

Depends on your fermenter. My airlock never bubbles when I put it on my bucket, but that's because the lid is so leaky. =) In your case, it's hard to say. It's possible that you shocked the yeast into dormancy with the low temperature, but now that you've raised it fermentation should pick up.

ya i started a batch last night and it wasnt bubbling, around 7pm. now (around midday) it has seemed to pick up and start producing some CO2 so i think this activity is to be expected..doesnt matter though, as long as its fermenting now right

My airlock had no activity either. Well it kinda did right when I added the Koji and after stirring, but that was the extent of it throughout the whole process

From everything I have read, it seems that oxygenation during the sake making process (including racking//pressing/bottleing) is not a problem. Is this correct?

TaylorMade--thanks for all your help. I bottled a gallon of Nigori and 2 gallons of clarified sake. Both taste great. Very boozy and with a really nice "fresh" rice flavor. I followed your instructions and recipe as best I could and am really happy with the resulting sake. I really appreciate your help.

The rice wine I made was the only beverage I have ever poured down the sink. It tasted like raw alcohol and had a vomit like aftertaste that wouldn't age out. I intend to try again sometime though.

The rice wine I made was the only beverage I have ever poured down the sink. It tasted like raw alcohol and had a vomit like aftertaste that wouldn't age out. I intend to try again sometime though.

What recipe or method did you use? It doesn't sound like you used my guide as a reference. =)

What recipe or method did you use? It doesn't sound like you used my guide as a reference. =)

It was simply boiled white and brown rice with a dash of lemon juice and a spoonful of raisins, then white sugar..not real Sake. It was quite foul...

When I do attempt this again I'll check out your method, good lookin site :)

OK, I know this is an older thread but I'm hoping someone wont mind sending a reply. What is the best fermentation vessel for brewing sake? I have my first batch in a 5 gallon glass carboy right now.

1st off, it was a PITA to get 3.5 pounds of cooked rice into the carboy. 2nd, it was a PITA to get a pound of koji starter rice into it.

Don't get me wrong. After topping off to 5 gallons, adding a wyest sake #9 activator pack it took off like a rocket and is still steadily bubbling after a week. I'm just not looking forward to cleaning all the rice sludge out of the carboy.

Is there a better type of fermenting vessel for sake, other than a plastic bucket?

Thanks,

D

You have one of these, right? Seriously, don't diss the plastic bucket! To successfully make sake, you are going to need some kind of fermentation vessel that
  1. Can hold up to about 6 gallons
  2. Has a wide opening to accommodate multiple stirring sessions, additions of solid ingredients like rice, and facilitates later removal of the mash for later pressing
  3. Can be cleaned easily
  4. Is hopefully opaque
In terms of equipment that is easily available to homebrewers: that's a bucket, dude. There's no shame in using it. =)

Unless your PVPP plastic bucket was previously home to something stinky like pickles or paint thinner, then those stories you're referring to (that I've never heard o_O) have absolutely no merit whatsoever. I've been brewing sake in my plastic fermenter for years and have never had a complaint. :D

Hello fellow Anchorage dweller :)

Great looking site, I'll have to throw a batch together in the next couple months.

Latest posts

Back