Sake box fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thantos

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
I was eating dinner with my wife at our favorite Sushi place when I noticed one of the waiters getting ready to throw out a Sake box. I asked him if I could have it and he said yes. So I took it home and here is what I found. It is almost five gallons and comes with its own on/off spigot that will adapt to a blow off hose, (it is similar to what come on the plastic brew buckets). The box has a handle which makes it really easy to move around when full. The liner is made out of LDPE and has a recycle #4 on the bottom. I am thinking of using two of them for my next batch as fermenters. The box says it is 18 liters or 4.76 gallons but the liner is marked 20 liters which is 5.28. The box dimensions are 12"x12"x12" I can stick two of them in my fermentation chamber. Whats everyone think? Free food safe fermenters??? I would think if they store Sake in it, it should be ok for beer???

IMG00486A.jpg

IMG00488A.jpg

IMG00489A.jpg

IMG00490A.jpg

IMG00491.jpg

common sense would say it should be ok, but i thought i read it has to be recycle #1 or #2... anybody got an answer?

Did you ever brew with this discarded Sake box?
How did it work out?
Anyone have any input?

Back