saison yeast temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuntzBrewing

Reaction score
I know Saisons are supposed to ferment warm 80-90s but will this produce hot alcohol flavors like other yeasts will at that temp?

I use WLP566 at 77°F. Yes, hotter will produce more fusal alcohols. It's a balancing act. Some trapist brewers to let it get that hot and make a great product.

Yes saison yeasts can produce fusels. Some are more prone to producing fusels than othhers. One way to get the best of both worlds is to pitch at the low end of the recommended temp range for the yeast and then ramp it up slowly after fermentation starts.

I'm doing a big (1.074) saison now. Been in their fermenter since Saturday night (march 9). I'm using wy3724 which I didn't realize but is notorious. Read about it on thier site they say a vigorous start then dies at 1.035. Range is 70-95 (yes) and they say you have to get it up to 90 to finish. I have it in a bucket in a swamp cooler with aquarium heater. Started the temp off at 74, then bumped to 78 today. Not a vigorous start at all, didn't even need a blowoff it turns out, but its still going. Will keep posted this one should be interesting.

I'm doing a big (1.074) saison now. Been in their fermenter since Saturday night (march 9). I'm using wy3724 which I didn't realize but is notorious. Read about it on thier site they say a vigorous start then dies at 1.035. Range is 70-95 (yes) and they say you have to get it up to 90 to finish. I have it in a bucket in a swamp cooler with aquarium heater. Started the temp off at 74, then bumped to 78 today. Not a vigorous start at all, didn't even need a blowoff it turns out, but its still going. Will keep posted this one should be interesting.

Sounds like we have a very similar brew going. although I'm using a heat pad/sleeping bag method. I started mine at 72 and have been ramping steadily since. Im up to 81 now (9* over 72 hours). Mine however did go crazy the first 24 blow off and all. Still activley churning but only bubbling once every 10 seconds or so. Plan on going up to 85 over the next few days and finishing off back down in the 70*s if i make it well past the dreaded 1.035.

Keep us posted on how it goes, it always great to read actual experience and methods!

on https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/saison-3724-how-fast-too-fast-raise-temp-396721/

Checked this am still bubbling airlock, not vigorous but solid. Won't be able I check it for the next three days, water temp at 84 this am, bumped it about 3 more degrees. This Saturday ill bring it up over 90 for a few days.

Well the water bath is up around 93 degrees and on day 9, still getting bubbles every ten Seconds or so in the airlock so it's still doing it's thing. I will probably see if it is not bubbling anymore by Sunday I'll take a reading

I recently did a saison experiment, brewing enough to put about .75 gallons of the base beer into 9 separate gallon jugs. More on the recipe here:

http://spontaneousfunk.blogspot.com/2013/02/ambrosia-namur-recipe.html

As part of the process, I created a spreadsheet that shows the temperature overlaps of each strain based on WL and WY recommendations. That's on Google Docs here (the ranges for the commercial dregs I cultured are mostly guesswork):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7K327OhPJV9TVZHQ0xiSnRnWjQ/edit

I fermented each at 70 F for this round. Soon enough, I plan to do the same thing at 75 F. For those that turn out well there, I'll bump again and try 80 F.

I'll eventually post my tasting experiences at each temperature. I'm looking forward to trying out the first round.

I've fermented up into the mid-80's with 3711 and my Saison's have been very clean! Saison yeasts truly are a totally different animal...

MNDan said:
I've fermented up into the mid-80's with 3711 and my Saison's have been very clean! Saison yeasts truly are a totally different animal...

My first one, But it looks like 3724 is even a lot different than 3711. 3724 says that after it stalls you need to get above 90° up to about 95 for it to truly finish. That's crazy! The beer that that I'm doing is a boulevard tank seven clone or pseudo-clone.

I want to see the result of this experiment

I recently did a saison experiment, brewing enough to put about .75 gallons of the base beer into 9 separate gallon jugs. More on the recipe here:

http://spontaneousfunk.blogspot.com/2013/02/ambrosia-namur-recipe.html

As part of the process, I created a spreadsheet that shows the temperature overlaps of each strain based on WL and WY recommendations. That's on Google Docs here (the ranges for the commercial dregs I cultured are mostly guesswork):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7K327OhPJV9TVZHQ0xiSnRnWjQ/edit

I fermented each at 70 F for this round. Soon enough, I plan to do the same thing at 75 F. For those that turn out well there, I'll bump again and try 80 F.

I'll eventually post my tasting experiences at each temperature. I'm looking forward to trying out the first round.

^ you should start a new thread so all can find and enjoy your experiment. I too am very interested!

I know Saisons are supposed to ferment warm 80-90s but will this produce hot alcohol flavors like other yeasts will at that temp?

ONE saison yeast is recommended to ferment hot, e.g. >84F. Most are not. If you look at 3711, it's range is much lower. In fact, except the single Dupont-based yeast, all are much cooler than that. I don't know where the idea that, "Oh, it's Belgian. You can cook the **** out of it and make good beer" came from, but you can make good beer, even better beer, at more reasonable temperatures. I bet a lot more batches have turned out into solventy, estery, crap due to excessive temps than people who ended up with bland beers fermented cooler.

Try 3711 at a normal range. Try it at 72-74. It comes out rather nice. No fuss, no sitz baths for the fermenter. Try WLP566. I have some fermenting at 68. Smells just fine.

Back