Saison yeast temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSunshine

Reaction score
So I just brewed up a saison today (which was quite the feat considering the condition of my kitchen) and I had a question about the yeast fermentation temperature. I've been reading that saison yeast need to be pretty high in temperature, however I currently don't have the conditions to get it there. Instead, I put a blanket below my fermenter and wrapped it in two thick towels. The temperature of my house is 68 degrees.

Do you think this will be high enough? If not, do you think adding more blankets would be a get it close to the desired temperature?

I'd bundle it up good and/or put it in the warmest place in your house. Do you have room on top of your fridge? (and can you get it up there safely?)

You don't need to get them crazy warm. Some folks say in the 90's, but 80 degrees is just fine IMHO. If you're at 68 and wrap it up good to keep the exothermic heat it gives off in, it should do alright for you.

Got access to a heat belt?

Plan B would be raise the temperature in your house to 72 or so for a few weeks. I see you're in Pittsburgh so it's still furnace weather anyway.

Plan C- heat one room warmer than the rest of the house. Use a space heater if you have central heat.

Plan D- If you have central heat and you have ducts in the floor, put it near a duct and put a large box over the top.

All great ideas, thanks folks!

I do have an extra space heater hanging out and I think I'm going to use that. However, I don't want to run it when I'm not home due to fire hazards. Would it be ok to only run it in the evening or will having a temperature change like that not be beneficial for the yeast?

What type of yeast are you using? Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison) is notorious for getting stuck at 1.035 unless the temperature is pretty high (85+). But 3711 (French Saison) is much more forgiving and is generally known to be an aggressive fermentor. I'm going to use 3711 in AHS Hibiscus Ginger Saison this weekend. I haven't seen as much info about WLP568 or SafBrew T-58.

What type of yeast are you using? Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison) is notorious for getting stuck at 1.035 unless the temperature is pretty high (85+). But 3711 (French Saison) is much more forgiving and is generally known to be an aggressive fermentor. I'm going to use 3711 in AHS Hibiscus Ginger Saison this weekend. I haven't seen as much info about WLP568 or SafBrew T-58.

I'm using WL565. It's developing a krausen already and I expect it to be bubbling in the blow off bucket when i get home. I looked at the temp on the side of my carboy and it's sitting at 73 at the moment. Should I hit it with the space heater?

If you put it in a tub of water, that will add more thermal mass and help to even out temperature differences. That way you can have the space heater off during the day when it's warmer anyway and then run it at night when temps are going to drop. Should level it out more.

For what it is worth, I always let my saisons ferment normally for a few days before "heating" anyway.

Do you have one of those electric blankets laying around? You could use that to heat it up

Buy a tupperware container big enough to hold your carboy and an aquarium heater. Put the carboy in, fill with water, attach thermometer to side of tupperware.

I like the water bath + aquarium heater solution. It probably only needs to be a tub deep enough to put the carboy in six or so inches of water.

It looks like the space heater solution is working well for the time being. The outside thermometer showed 79 degrees this morning and I'm sure it's a degree or two higher inside the carboy (I haven't had it on since yesterday afternoon either).

I'm not getting any bubbles in my blowoff (I think there's a small leak somewhere) but there is a little krausen action going on. I took a flashlight to the carboy and it looks like the yeast are having a rave in there, lots of action.

Apparently saison yeast is supposed to be touchy, so I'll have to take a FG reading after fermentation looks to be complete to see how it is.

Back