Saison too yeasty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
I took a sample of a saison that fermented for two weeks and then sat another two weeks in keg at room temp. It has been chilling for 2 days at 40 F. The sample was very yeasty (taste) and cloudy. I used Wyeast 3711 and it took a 1.060 beer down to 1.007 in no time.

Is this one that I just let set for a while? Or do I take a more active approach by, lets say, adding gelatin finings to drop out yeast?

Not absolutely sure, so I'll guess. There was probably quite a bit of yeast in suspension after it fermented. When you cooled the keg, you effectively cold crashed some of the yeast out of suspension. Because the keg diptube pulls from the bottom, you pulled up more yeast than you will in the future. I'd guess a few more pints will be a bit yeasty, then it will clear.

Hopefully.

Definitely a good thought but I pulled a pint and dumped it before drinking my sample. This typically gets rid of what has dropped out of suspension but maybe I'll give it another 2 weeks before freakout.

We just popped our keg of Hibiscus Saison last weekend. Used 3711 as well. It stayed cloudy the whole time. Don't know if that's just the yeast or the 2lbs of wheat malt. Tasted just dandy though.

Latest posts

Back