Saison not carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie10

Reaction score
Bottled a saison 9 days ago that is showing extremely limited signs of carbonating.

Beer hit its target numbers. I used my usual amount of priming sugar. Beer is in PET bottles and they feel soft. There is the slightest hint of a psst when I opened a bottle, but that's it. Sitting at 66F, which is my usual temperature.

Beer is extremely clear, my beers generally are cloudy to some degree but this one is CRYSTAL. Could it be lack of yeast, Belle Saison, in suspension?

Hear ya. Sorry, i should have mentioned that a hefeweizen I bottled at same time and is stored alongside the saison is carbonating as expected.

Hear ya. Sorry, i should have mentioned that a hefeweizen I bottled at same time and is stored alongside the saison is carbonating as expected.

Carbonation time can vary. I still wouldn't worry unless it's still not carbonated after at least three weeks. To me, 66 degrees is on the edge anyway. For a while, I conditioned in a closet that was about 65 degrees - it took around 5 weeks to carb up.

What is the ABV? Higher alcohol brews can take longer. Warm it up to 70+F and give it another week or two.

4.4% ABV. It's coming around slowly now, but my basement brew area has actually dropped to 64 F now, which hasn't helped things it seems. Don't have a good warmer area to move the beer to, so I will just wait but it seems it will get there soonish.

Most homebrewers have experienced this at some point. It can take a while. 9 days is nothing. My lager is still not fully carbonated after 3 weeks.
Given enough time, the remaining yeast - even if there are only few living cells - will eventually consume all the sugar,.unless you're really stretching the alcohol tolerance. Warm temperatures and moderate agitation help speed it up slightly, but you cannot force anything at this point. You'll find hundreds of similar threads, and they all end in "oh yeah, now it's carbonated". Well, yes, anything else is practically impossible.

Saison yeasts generally prefer higher temps during fermentation, she may be sluggish or remain mostly dormant at or below 65F.
Condition her at 70-74F at minimum. Find a warmer place.

Latest posts

Back