Saison for a hot, 3 day weekend in George, WA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden123982

Reaction score
Putting together 2 beers for labor day weekend. This is beer #2 which I want to do a saison and let the temps fly during the ferment. Here is the recipe I have, looking for any thoughts or feedback and will post results for these beers as well

Mash @146F
Vienna 8.5#
White Wheat 2.0#
Flaked Oats 0.5#
Acid malt (if needed for target mash pH of 5.2)
Corn sugar 1.0# (will add after 24hr of ferment)

Columbus 0.5oz for 45 min
East Kent Goldings 1.5oz for 15 min

Water (base: low Na/Ca/Mg/SO2/Cl, mod HCO3)
1.5 tsp gypsum
0.5tsp CaCl

Yeast
Imperial Rustic @76F, let rise to 85F

est ABV: 6.5-7.3% (OG 1.060, FG ??, attenuation??)
est IBU: 28

Since you focused on hot weekend, I wonder if the Vienna would be as refreshing as the same recipe with pilsner? If it were pilsner instead of Vienna, that looks exactly like my basic saison recipe, especially the late EKG hops.

I'd also be a little concerned with using Vienna as a base here - might have a little too much perceived sweetness. Maybe cut it back to 15-20%?

Seems like the cutting back Vienna could have been a good idea but already into fermentation now. My thought was low mash pH and temp would help me out

On a side note, pre boil OG was good enough that I added some extra water in order to get a smaller side batch (maybe 2/3 gal) to pitch some mixed culture dregs into along with the rustic

Attachments

• 821CBCB0-6338-4D38-9BC5-E17327407697.jpeg
    821CBCB0-6338-4D38-9BC5-E17327407697.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
Finished off at 1.006 and got some nice temps in the living room during this heat wave we've been having. Tasting great right now! Very happy with the imperial rustic strain. Still have near a gallon with some wild bugs in it that I'll let sit for a couple months and check in on

Latest posts

Back