Saison first recipe critique needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProblemChild

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to do my first saison. been milling about, reading things here and there and this is basically an omalgamation of a few recipes.

If you have any constructive criticism, I would love to hear it. Any tips or tricks are most definitely

upload_2018-7-13_16-33-29.png

I would ditch the caramel. I like a very dry Saison, and I think, if that's your goal, you're kind of defeating that with the caramel malt.

I like your hop choices at the end.

I have stopped using sugar in my saisons. I forgot to add it a couple of times, whoops, and I found I didn't really miss it. But, that being said, it is appropriate.

Seems crystal should be dropped. What does anyone think about something like dark Munich (30L)? To me, presentation is also important and a nice color somewhere about 6 -8 SRM would be nice. I think I can hit a gravity I want with ony half a pound of sugar, so I reduced to that

Curious how the Munich Dark will add to it. Let us know how it turns out!

Is the Omega yeast a Diastaticus strain like French Saison? I'm not familiar with it

Siasons NEED to be dry. Looks like
beersmith says your’s will finish at 1.004 which is ideal. Don’t worry about trying to add body with adjuncts, most Saison yeasts produce a decent amount of glycerol so the body will seem much higher than the gravity.

To me Saisons are all about yeast. You don’t want/need much malt flavor. Ditch the Vienna, Munich, crystal, and Pick one adjunct. DuPont is literally just Pilsner malt, nothing else. Pilsner malt plus one alternate grain is in my mind all you ever need. Spelt, Rye, Wheat, etc. Ferment it HOT and let the yeast shine.

Last edited:
Siasons NEED to be dry. Looks like
beersmith says your’s will finish at 1.004 which is ideal. Don’t worry about trying to add body with adjuncts, most Saison yeasts produce a decent amount of glycerol so the body will seem much higher than the body.

To me Saisons are all about yeast. You don’t want/need much malt flavor. Ditch the Vienna, Munich, crystal, and Pick one adjunct. DuPont is literally just Pilsner malt, nothing else. Pilsner malt plus one alternate grain is in my mind all you ever need. Spelt, Rye, Wheat, etc. Ferment it HOT and let the yeast shine.
great perspective. Thank you

OK - still noodling this one over. I kept some sugar mostly for the reason that I want to hit a low FG and the yeast selected (I like what I read about it - so I am using it) seems to finish a touch higher, so it needs help. I doubt I wil go below the target, but there is the chance that I will go above it. A little sugar at worst will just go unnoticed. Here is what I have so far.

upload_2018-7-15_10-12-29.png

What temp are you mashing? Can you step mash? I haven’t looked into that yeast specifically but you can do wonders for fermentability with some steps.

What temp are you mashing? Can you step mash? I haven’t looked into that yeast specifically but you can do wonders for fermentability with some steps.

Homemade RIMS system. Works wonderfully. Doing 20 min protein rest, 30 min mash at 148°F, 20 min mash at 156°F and mash out.

My saisions are normally pilsner malt, flaked wheat and turbinardo sugar.

If I add any malt it's normally for character and I avoid malty malts and crystal malts. Instead I go for things like smoked malt, victory or roast malts.

As others have said the focus should be the yeast.

Back