Saison fermentation time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillip_h

Reaction score
I brewed a Tank 7 clone from Austin Homebrew two weeks ago. The OG was just under 1.070 when I pitched the yeast (Wyeast Saison 3724). I checked it today and it was right at 1.030.

Am I pretty much on track with this beer? I have read that saisons can take a while to ferment out.

3724 can be tough to work with - do a search for stuck Wyeast 3724. The one time I used it, I got lucky, but you may want to do some reading on that strain and check your gravity in a few days to see if you're fermentation is being stubborn.

At two weeks, you should be approaching FG, so I'm guessing you have an issue. Just a point of clarification - are you checking gravity with a hydrometer or refractometer? If the latter, you need to adjust the reading.

Best of luck to you.

3724 can be tough to work with - do a search for stuck Wyeast 3724. The one time I used it, I got lucky, but you may want to do some reading on that strain and check your gravity in a few days to see if you're fermentation is being stubborn.

At two weeks, you should be approaching FG, so I'm guessing you have an issue. Just a point of clarification - are you checking gravity with a hydrometer or refractometer? If the latter, you need to adjust the reading.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the input - it sounds like temperature is the issue. I moved the fermenter into the garage. I'm in south Texas and temperatures are in the 80s right now, so hopefully that will help. If not, I'll try a heating pad or something.

btw, I'm using a hydrometer to measure gravity.

I just did a batch with 3724. This yeast is a beast right in the beginning but stalls around 1.035. I had to put mine in the ferment chamber and got it up to 93*F. I got mine down to about 1.010, it wouldnt go any lower.

The next time i use this yeast i'm going to keep the vigorous fermentation going by ramping the temp up early instead of doing it after it stalls. But this yeast starts fast, i had very active fermentation within 2 hours of pitching.

You can also try to finish it with 3711. Since 3711 doesnt need such high temps, it can be easier to deal with.

Yeah, mine was going crazy for the first few days. My airlock was bubbling like crazy, but then it stopped. I didn't think anything of it, since the bubbling usually slows down after a few days.

Well, my garage isn't really getting hot during this time of year, so I bought a heating pad and set my fermenter on it. It's been on there for about 30 minutes and the airlock is already bubbling again. Hopefully this does the trick.

3724 likes it hot, if you can't do that, and it gets stalled, throw some 3711 in there and you'll get it nice and dry, otherwise, you can just let it sit and it will eventually get down to your target FG.

Back