Saison Fermentation Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slackerlack

Reaction score
This is my first Saison. Started at 1.057 on the 18th with Wyeast 3724, it's down to 1.015 today, sitting at 90 degrees. I'm wondering if I should just let it go slowly, or throw in Wyeast 3711. I still have not added the 1 pound of cane sugar. Any suggestions?

I would add the sugar and let it sit for another couple of weeks. If you have it at 90 the 3724 will finish out on it's own. Save the 3711 for another brew.

I use it a lot and never have any problem getting it to finish low.

As much of a fan of mixing 3724 and 3711 (i actually prefer starting with 3711 unlike most) as i am... i agree with beergolf and say save it for another and just add the sugar. Give her time. I like my saisons sit for 1.5-2 months minimum.

I agree with the others. If the gravity is already down to 1.015 then 3724 is doing its job and doesn't need any help. Once you get past 1.030 with that yeast it's smooth sailing. It should drop a couple of gravity points everyday until it get from 1.004-1.008. And definitely add the sugar now if you want to use it.

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. When I add the sugar, should I just throw it in or should I purge with CO2 and stir up the carboy to get it in suspension?

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. When I add the sugar, should I just throw it in or should I purge with CO2 and stir up the carboy to get it in suspension?

Boil the sugar in some water, cool it down and just pour it in. The yeast will find it, believe me. Fermentation will kick off again almost instantly.

Back