Saison dupont clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyeintexas

Reaction score
I am interested in brewing a saison for my next batch and someone said that the saison DuPont was his favorite. Anyone have any idea how to make it? If you have a partial mash recipe that would be great because I haven't stepped up to all grain yet.

Pretty easy- 100% Dingemanns's Pilsner malt. Mash for 90-120 min at 150-152 for maximum fermentability. Shoot for an OG of 1.054 and ferment with WLP565 (WY3724). Pitch cool in the mid 60s and ramp up 2F per day to 90+. Should finish around 1.004.

2 additions of EKG and Styrian Goldings, probably one bittering and one aroma. Shoot for around 30IBU.

image-1743680393.jpg

Brewed this recipe from the clone brews book. It was very expensive as an all extract brew. The og was very high though: 1.062. Should I raise the temp in my fermenter for this saison?

If you are using 3724 you definitely want to crank up the temp after the first 24-48. This yeast takes a long time to finish (in most cases). But it will finish if you can ramp up the temp to the 80s. If you are looking for an exact clone you might want to consider culturing from the bottle as 3724 is likely one of a couple strains used in doupont.

Entirely pilsen malt, 1.054 gravity.
Hops EKG and Styrian, 2 additions total.
Used bottle dredge to get "house" yeast, pitch. Filter.
Prime, repitch same strain.
Bottle condition 6-8 weeks at 73-76 degrees.

This is straight from Michael Jackson.

Well, this somewhat relates to this thread but I watched a video of Saison Dupont being made on youtube and they actually store the bottles on their side for more efficient bottle conditioning. Does anyone actually know if this actually makes a difference?

Well, this somewhat relates to this thread but I watched a video of Saison Dupont being made on youtube and they actually store the bottles on their side for more efficient bottle conditioning. Does anyone actually know if this actually makes a difference?

They claim that the larger surface are to volume ratio in this orientation allows the yeast to absorb the O2 in the bottle faster for a more efficacious secondary fermentation. My guess is, they wouldn't do if it didn't make a difference in their beer. They developed automated machinery specific to this step.

Back