Saison - Brett. OK to package?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sancycling

Reaction score
I have a Saison that is currently fermenting with Brett in secondary. I want to enter this beer in a competition but I'm worried that it might need more time. I don't want bottle bombs.

5Gal Batch
Grain: Pilsen Malt 82%, Cara Pils 6%, Rye Malt 12%.
Added: 1/2lb of honey
Mashed: 149F for 75min
OG: 1.066
Fermented with WLP590 French Saison @ 65F for 2 days and then let free raise with room temp around 68-70F for 2 weeks.
Transfered to Secondary (gravity 1.008) and added 1 vial of WLP650 Brett Bruxellensis. And it's been sitting at room temp 68-70F for 3 months.

Secondary is a glass carboy filled to the neck, airlock with vodka.

I've not measured gravity as I'm afraid of contamination. I think I should do it though.

My concern is that I can see tiny bubbles still raising just like day 2 after adding the brett. It recently developed a white pelicle.

I was thinking of kegging it this weekend and once I have the right carbonation, bottle a few for the competition and keep them cold until then.

I will deliver them to the competition personally but I won't know how they will be stored for a little over a week.

Should I keg and bottle? or just wait and drink it when it's ready?

Take a gravity reading! That's the only way to know for sure. IME, Brett Brux can be a slow worker so it might have a few more points to chew off. If you're concerned about bombs, just bottle in thick bottles and carb around 2.5 in case it goes down a few more points.

I'll take a reading today to see where I stand. I guess we'll go from there.
The only thing that gives me hope is that how much can brett carb with an almost depleted beer in say 1.5 weeks at room temp? I think not much.

I'll let you guys know tonight.

Thanks

I'd let it ferment on its own schedule, bottle in heavy bottles, and enter the competition next year. Brett doesn't like to be rushed.

Take a gravity reading! That's the only way to know for sure. IME, Brett Brux can be a slow worker so it might have a few more points to chew off. If you're concerned about bombs, just bottle in thick bottles and carb around 2.5 in case it goes down a few more points.

If it tastes great this is the way to go. Carb and cold will slow it down. Will be safe for competition. And you can start enjoying it. Use thick bottles. If it rises to 3-4 volumes all the more better! (And still safe)

So last night I kegged my beer. I decided to take the risk as it tastes fantastic.
FG: 1.004, down 4 points from typical sacc saison yeast.

Can't wait to try it cold and carbed!!! I set it up for 2.5 volumes.

For the competition, I'll bottle and keep the bottles cool until the last possible minute. Hope it works out. I'll use a control bottle, and I'll try to replicate the worst case scenario to see if carbonation changes much.

Thanks for the input.

Back