Saflager w-34/70 high attentuation normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
Used this yeast for my first Pilsner. Been two weeks and took a hydrometer sample today and it's at 1.005 when Beersmith was showing estimated FG of 1.010. I mashed at 149, properly entered that into Beersmith. I did use 2 packs of yeast though as I've read lagers need double the yeast. Could this be the reason it attenuated down so low? I noticed that the FG doesn't change at all no matter how many yeast packs you input in Beersmith. I did also use a hydrometer correction calc but the beer temp and hydrometer calibration temp are close enough there's no difference in reading. The sample tasted great, but it's gonna be a 5.9% pilsner now :-/

Rev.

~80% apparent attenuation is pretty normal for W-34/70. What was Beersmith presuming the apparent attenuation to be?

If the FG is 1.005 and you say it's already at 5.9%, that means the FG was 1.050, meaning 90% AA. Taht seems a bit high, although 80-82% AA would be normal. Does it smell and taste OK? Did you taste the hydrometer sample?

If the FG is 1.005 and you say it's already at 5.9%, that means the FG was 1.050, meaning 90% AA. Taht seems a bit high, although 80-82% AA would be normal. Does it smell and taste OK? Did you taste the hydrometer sample?

Yep, OG was 1.050. Does seem a bit high attenuation. Hydrometer sampled tasted great and smelled great. Just like a German Pilsner.

Rev.

I have run in to this before with this yeast. When I mash low like that, it tends to perform a little better than the specifications call for. Generally I just adjusted my recipe with a little higher mash temp.

Other than the attenuation getting higher %, this is becoming one of my favorite yeasts. My German beers always turn out great with it.

Here's my problem with Beersmith (or any other software for that matter): people treating that predicted FG like it's the 4th law of Thermodynamics. Yeast is a living thing and will finish when it runs out of fermentable sugars. Lots of variables to account for. If it is tastes good, then software be damned!

Here's my problem with Beersmith (or any other software for that matter): people treating that predicted FG like it's the 4th law of Thermodynamics.

Hmm, I wasn't putting faith in Beersmith like it has to be correct all the time. And I know it's simply using the data provided by yeast manufacturers. I just wanted to know if this is normal for this yeast or perhaps because I used two packs. I think next round I'll try just using one pack. As far as Beersmith though I'm not blaming it at all.

Rev.

I just tested the lager I brewed 13 days ago , 1.050 to 1.007 . So 5.6 percent alcohol. Id prefer a higher Fg . I mashed at 153 . Next time I’ll mash at 160. For some reason I always end around 1.006 to 1.008 with 34/70 .

If it smells and tastes good, then it's not infected or anything. Now I have 3 lagers fermenting with W-34/70 and all were mashed at 149F for one hour, although two of them have a bit of specialty malts ( Vienna Lager, Schwarzbier ) and hopefully will not attenuate too much. :D

I've used 34/70 many times, and it does ferment out pretty dry for me. Now, I do mostly use it in American Light Lagers, which obviously I want to attenuate low, but even in other beers I seem to be able to get them quite dry with 34/70. It's my all time favorite yeast, but not just for that reason.

1 pack is completely fine, no need for 2, I typically get down to 1.005 or so in my American Lights, starting around 1.036 or abouts.

Sweet, thanks so much everyone for the replies! I have heard great things about this yeast and definitely intend to keep using it. Next time I am going to use just one pack and adjust the recipe to lower the starting gravity a little so I hit my desired abv correctly. Thanks again!

Rev.

I've used 34/70 many times, and it does ferment out pretty dry for me. Now, I do mostly use it in American Light Lagers, which obviously I want to attenuate low, but even in other beers I seem to be able to get them quite dry with 34/70. It's my all time favorite yeast, but not just for that reason.

1 pack is completely fine, no need for 2, I typically get down to 1.005 or so in my American Lights, starting around 1.036 or abouts.
I’ve used 34/70 a couple times now and have been pitching 2 packages straight into the fermenter without rehydrating. When you only pitch 1 package, do you rehydrate or make a starter? I’d prefer to only pitch one if I knew I could get away with it. $5.50 looks a lot better than $11.00. My beers are usually 1.055 OG or less.

I’ve used 34/70 a couple times now and have been pitching 2 packages straight into the fermenter without rehydrating. When you only pitch 1 package, do you rehydrate or make a starter? I’d prefer to only pitch one if I knew I could get away with it. $5.50 looks a lot better than $11.00. My beers are usually 1.055 OG or less.

I rehydrate, by emptying an unopened bottle of water, down to about 3-4 oz, let it sit 5-10 min then in it goes. Pretty easy, but ya if your not rehydrating I guess you might need 2. I've found good deals on amazon and ebay for 34/70 before too, getting it around $3-4.

You FG will change a bit based on fermentation temperature. Your mash may also have produced a more fermentable wort or your measurements could have been off a little. As others have said I wouldn't worry about it too much

Used this yeast for my first Pilsner. Been two weeks and took a hydrometer sample today and it's at 1.005 when Beersmith was showing estimated FG of 1.010. I mashed at 149, properly entered that into Beersmith. I did use 2 packs of yeast though as I've read lagers need double the yeast. Could this be the reason it attenuated down so low? I noticed that the FG doesn't change at all no matter how many yeast packs you input in Beersmith. I did also use a hydrometer correction calc but the beer temp and hydrometer calibration temp are close enough there's no difference in reading. The sample tasted great, but it's gonna be a 5.9% pilsner now :-/

Rev.

What was the primary fermentation temp?

Mash at 160! Wow.

I’m just looking for more residual sugar , I’d prefere it at 1.010 . For my tast it’s about perfect . Maybe I’ll just throw in a pound of Carapils instead , I don’t know, I’m still new at this experimenting with my recipes .

I’m just looking for more residual sugar , I’d prefere it at 1.010 . For my tast it’s about perfect . Maybe I’ll just throw in a pound of Carapils instead , I don’t know, I’m still new at this experimenting with my recipes .

New one on me. Not disparaging you, but 160 F for mashing is very high!

New one on me. Not disparaging you, but 160 F for mashing is very high!

I have a feelin my 8 dollar thermometer from Walmart isn’t giving me the best readings, my 160 might not be your 160 . I’m using a meat thermometer because I’m cheap!

I have a feelin my 8 dollar thermometer from Walmart isn’t giving me the best readings, my 160 might not be your 160 . I’m using a meat thermometer because I’m cheap!

Doh! Well... I recommend investing in a digital thermometer. Even the inexpensive digital ones, in my testing, match the (cadillic) Thermapen.

Is this air temp or the fermenting wort temp? Please realize fermentation activity adds about 10F to the temp of the wort.

I've been brewing for 8 years now :) It's wort temp, not air temp. I use Ss BrewMaster Buckets so I can read the inside temp being it has a thermowell with digital thermometer.

Rev.

Used it in a pils (the one from my thread re: dry-hopping). OG 1.053, FG 1.013. Mashed at 154F.

Here's my problem with Beersmith (or any other software for that matter): people treating that predicted FG like it's the 4th law of Thermodynamics. Yeast is a living thing and will finish when it runs out of fermentable sugars. Lots of variables to account for. If it is tastes good, then software be damned!
Software be damned!

Well , I just brewed a Märzen rauchbier with 34/70 . Brewed it up yesterday and mashed around 156 and 15 percent of my grainbill is various cara malts . Here’s to hoping for 75 percent attenuation!:mug:

This is an older thread, but I was also experiencing an over attenuation issue with 34/70. The problem turned out to be an incorrect yeast profile. The BeerSmith profile has a maximum attenuation of 77%. The Fermentis product data sheet indicates an apparent attenuation of 80%-84%. I created a custom profile for 34/70 and updated the attenuation information. With the updated profile, my estimated and measured final gravities are now within plus or minus 2 points using 34/70.

This is an older thread, but I was also experiencing an over attenuation issue with 34/70. The problem turned out to be an incorrect yeast profile. The BeerSmith profile has a maximum attenuation of 77%. The Fermentis product data sheet indicates an apparent attenuation of 80%-84%. I created a custom profile for 34/70 and updated the attenuation information. With the updated profile, my estimated and measured final gravities are now within plus or minus 2 points using 34/70.
Good catch. Yeah, BeerSmith has 73% to 77%. My most recent W-34/70 batches were at 84% and 81%.

Back