Saflager S-23 vs US-05 vs US-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancidcrabtree

Reaction score
I’m hoping to brew a fairly crisp, neutral and dry ale or lager with a very simple grain bill (a whole lotta 2 row and some crystal). My choices for yeast are US-05, Saflager S-23 or US-04. I think this is really a question of which yeast would work best given my temperature control options. Here are the choices I can see:

1. Use Saflager S-23 in my garage which stays relatively stable at 50°. I’ve read that S-23 works best at 50-57° for primary fermentation, the problem is that I don’t have a cooler place to move to after the primary so I don’t think I’d be able to do a true lager.
2. Use US-05 and ferment in my brew closet which is about 64° during the day and may get as high as 70° during the day (every time I turn around SWMBO is turning up the thermostat!). I can pitch at 60° and then when fermentation gets over 65° I can move to the garage until it gets back down to 60°, and keep doing that, but it sounds like a real PITA and there will be some temperature swings.
3. Rack my wort on top of a fresh cake of US-04 from my last brew. From my understanding I will be way over-pitching this way and might not get some of the esters/flavors typically associated with this yeast, even if it ferments a bit warm…

What do you guys thing? I’m looking for some advice from the experts out there who might know a thing or two about these particular yeast strains. Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas!

I realized this thread would probably do better on the Fermentation & Yeast board so I posted it over there, mods you can delete this one if you want!

Back