Saflager s-23 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnT

Reaction score
I brewed a Tru Brew California Common yesterday using the supplied s-23 yeast.
Pitched at 60 F and has stayed at 63-64F ever since.
I have had no signs of fermentation, no airlock activity or Krousen (sp).

The package of yeast says its good for 51-75F and Ideally 51-59F.
Use date on package 07-2010.

Is the yeast to old or is this just a slow to start bottom fermenting yeast?

Just give it time to start going. It's not even been a day hardly. If you can bring the temp down though, I would as it's a lager.

I'm trying to keep the temp down. Its in a water bath with cold packs. Need more cold packs!!
Was just wondering about the s-23, I'm used to us-05 which has always shown activity within 24 hrs.

I know relax.

The yeast might be old but honestly I've used yeast that was over two years old not refrigerated and thrown into a shop for two years at 120 degrees in the Texas Summers. I'm not saying that's not your problem though.

Alright let's assess it a little more.

What was the OG of the beer if you took a reading? If not, what is your estimated ABV?

Did you make a yeast starter?

How well did you aerate the beer before pitching the yeast?

The yeast might be old but honestly I've used yeast that was over two years old not refrigerated and thrown into a shop for two years at 120 degrees in the Texas Summers. I'm not saying that's not your problem though.

Alright let's assess it a little more.

What was the OG of the beer if you took a reading? If not, what is your estimated ABV?

Did you make a yeast starter?

How well did you aerate the beer before pitching the yeast?

OG 1.045
no starter, dry yeast sprinkled on top
aerated with oxygen 45 to 60 sec

Dont worry, my lagers dont pick up till about 2-3 days later

A hint for keeping the beer cold, i used 4 two liter bottles. I froze all four at once but only used two at a time so i can keep rotating them once they melt. They last about two days before completely melting

Alright so here's my suggestion.

Wait another 24-48 hours and see if you have activity.

If you have no activity in another 24-48 hours, don't freak out run to your local LHBS grab some more yeast this time make a starter.

I myself use only dry yeast making a starter isn't that difficult get about 2 cups of warm not hot but warm water you don't want to shock the yeast. First sanitize everything obviously. Sprinkle the yeast in the container with the warm water. A measuring cup works best. Cover this with saran wrap let it sit for about 30 minutes. Then throw in a tablespoon of either regular sugar or if you have it, a little DME, or dextrin as corn sugar breaks down more easily.

This will ensure you have properly hydrated yeast prior to pitching.

What happens with a lot of dry yeast w/o starters, is that they can't get properly hyrdated when pitched as the sugars are dryer as compared to water obviously. This tends to slow down their rate of multiplying. So you're either stuck waiting for fermentation or you're not going to get it.

Honestly I've pitched the yeast without making a starter and on something with an OG of 1.045 I feel you would have been fine, the older the yeast though, the more the starter you need to make. So if you have the time to let the yeast sit and grow in the measuring cup for two or three hours, let it. Just make sure it doesn't grow over and dump out on your counter.

Regarding proper re-hydration procedure, from someone that worked at Fermentis (if I remember correctly), posted here some time ago. He explainned the reasons behing the process, which made sense to me. I have started using his process and works pretty well.

-Amount of water as 50 times the amount of dry yeast in gramms. Example.: 1 pack of dry yeast is 11.5g, use 50x11.5=575g of water = about 1/2 liter = about 2.5 cups
-Boil water for 10min, NO sugar or DME, just tap water
-Cool water to 105F (no, 105F is not too hot)
-Whisk the yeast in for 3min
-Cool mix to pitching temp, about 70F
-Oxigenate wort and pitch immediately.

BTW, Elweydoloco is describing rehydration, NOT a starter. A starter is used to multiply yeast and increase numbers and takes 18-36 hours (typically). You don't need to do a true starter with dry yeast, you just pitch an extra packet or two.

Back