Safe saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinthompson85

Reaction score
Noob question; Is making a saison like a normal ale or do you need to separate equipment like when you make a sour? Just want to be sure I do not taint my gear.

You’re good to brew like a normal ale. The biggest thing about saison is that it’s supposed to be brewed at slightly higher temps, thus bringing out those classic saison character esters. If you want to tame those, keep the initial temps on the low end of the yeast’s tolerance. Of course, sanitation is always key!

Just make sure you get a saison yeast and not a farmhouse yeast. The latter usually have Brett in them

I figured the profile came from the yeast. Just wanted to be sure I didn't do something foolish. I'll do some extra research. So it's the Brett you want to avoid?

I figured the profile came from the yeast. Just wanted to be sure I didn't do something foolish. I'll do some extra research. So it's the Brett you want to avoid?

Anything with Brett (wild yeast) or lacto, or pedio.

I mean, even if it had one of those, or you got an infection from one, it’s not the end of the world. But all kinds of bugs can survive on porous surfaces easily, so diligent heat and/or chemical sanitation is needed. Unless it’s in a wood barrel, then it’s pretty much a done deal.

You do not need sperate equipment for Saison. My preffered saison yeast is 3726 from Wyeast. I prefer it over 3711 and 3724.

If your getting white labs yeast you can get WLP590 French saison, WLP565 saison 1 or WLP566 saison 2. Personally I don't like the saison 1, comes out too peppery. And that was fermenting with my 66° starting temp for 2 days then ramping 3° per day up to 78°. The other 2 are great.

Latest posts

Back