SafAle S04, rapid ferment? where's the C02?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopfenstopfen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm looking for some opinions/reassurance on a recent NEIPA fermented with S04.
- brewed on 12/23. OG = 1.072. 5.5 gallons into fermzilla,
- 2, 11.5g packets mixed into wort while draining from kettle to FV. aerated wort ~30 min post-pitch.
- brew was in ferm chamber by 2:30pm, activity w/ light krausen by 10pm & thick krausen by 7am on 12/24.

I recognize that the height of active fermentation may have finished in ~48hrs.

I planned to use the CO2 from fermentation to purge a dry-hopping keg, but did not have an available keg in addition
to family activities on the holiday. Here is my concern/problem: I did not hear/see any bubbling into the temporary blow-off jar
filled with starsan solution and there is no obvious CO2 coming from the prv on the fermzilla lid. Upon opening the ferm chamber lid, there is a clear waft of CO2 leaving the chamber.

Where the he double hockey sticks is the CO2 escaping to?

As I've written this post, asking for help, it seems that CO2 is escaping from the fv? But, I see no signs of that.

Any input is appreciated. I will be taking a gravity reading in the next few hours to update on where fermentation progress.

Obviously the fv is leaking, no other explanation possible. You might try sealing the lid with tape as an experiment.

I pitched S04 into 11 gallons of 1.107 wort on Tuesday and it's just now winding down. I purged two kegs with the emitted CO2. Good tight carboy caps :)

Cheers!

After filling fermzilla, I always hook up cylinder and add some pressure to see if there are any leaks and if I fixed the lid properly. I learnt this after my first fermentation, those poppets were leaking, I had to use Plumber’s tape for it. I also recommend that you use their spunding valve as it always shows your pressure in the fermzilla.

After filling fermzilla, I always hook up cylinder and add some pressure to see if there are any leaks and if I fixed the lid properly. I learnt this after my first fermentation, those poppets were leaking, I had to use Plumber’s tape for it. I also recommend that you use their spunding valve as it always shows your pressure in the fermzilla.

Good advice. This is my 4th brew in the fermizilla and its held pressure perfectly so far. I did not pressure test before this brew. Looks like this will be another lesson learned the hard way.

Stinks that your poppets were leaking, but fortunate that you discovered this early on. Mine were definitely not leaking before as I have spunded a pilsner and used fermentation CO2 to fill a keg on the last fermentation.

Obviously the fv is leaking, no other explanation possible. You might try sealing the lid with tape as an experiment.

I pitched S04 into 11 gallons of 1.107 wort on Tuesday and it's just now winding down. I purged two kegs with the emitted CO2. Good tight carboy caps :)

Cheers!

By the end of my post I just needed a 2nd opinion. Thanks for that. Now to determine if I can confirm/locate and fix the leak while the current batch is in the fv!

Didn't you post a pick of Julius clone recently? This was supposed to be in the neighborhood of a King J brew 😒

Can you pressurized your fermenter? Spray bottle with star san around the seal and posts should show you where the leak is.

By the end of my post I just needed a 2nd opinion. Thanks for that. Now to determine if I can confirm/locate and fix the leak while the current batch is in the fv!
Didn't you post a pick of Julius clone recently? This was supposed to be in the neighborhood of a King J brew 😒

If the batch is still fermenting maybe a spray bottle of Star San mix will find the leak.
Yes, I've been brewing various Julius clones for the last couple of years, always have it on tap.
Still not a perfect replica but everyone loves it anyway :)

Cheers!

If the batch is still fermenting maybe a spray bottle of Star San mix will find the leak.
Yes, I've been brewing various Julius clones for the last couple of years, always have it on tap.
Still not a perfect replica but everyone loves it anyway :)

Cheers!

I already tried spraying with Star San, but there isn't enough pressure to detect where the leak is coming from.
The bigger question for me now is do you think being a NEIPA this batch is already on its way to being oxidized?
If CO2 can escape, presumably O2 can get in?

On a positive note, if CO2 is escaping, O2 isn't entering. And sometimes a gas leak only happens when there's pressure, which would only come from within the fermenter.

I'll guess there's still some CO2 being emitted, so you might try wrapping some pliable tape (like electrical tape) around the lid/vessel gap, then see if you get bubbles out of your blow-off. At least you'd have solved that mystery :)

As for oxidation, I don't think I'd lose any sleep over that this early - you just pitched ~5 days ago, and it's likely whatever gap in your lid seal is tiny and under some equally tiny positive flow that would make atmospheric ingress less likely while there's still fermentation going on...

Cheers!

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, much appreciated.
I was able to do a pressure test on the fv this morning and confirm that the leak is coming from one of the posts. Unfortunately, I can't seem to tighten or use tape to temporarily fix the leak. Looks like I'll have to ride this one out, transfer to a serving keg soon and fix the leak after the fv is empty.

Is it coming from where the post screws to the lid? Or from the poppet area?

I assume it’s the former, but if the latter, you can attach a QD leading to a hose with a dead ending, such as another QD. That will open the poppet and create a new closed end downstream.

Coming from where the post screws to the lid. Gonna let the Star San dry and apply a few layers of tape. Hoping that limit or block air flow into the fermentor?

QUOTE="hopfenstopfen, post: 9030784, member: 268627"]
Thanks for your suggestions everyone, much appreciated.
I was able to do a pressure test on the fv this morning and confirm that the leak is coming from one of the posts. Unfortunately, I can't seem to tighten or use tape to temporarily fix the leak. Looks like I'll have to ride this one out, transfer to a serving keg soon and fix the leak after the fv is empty.
[/QUOTE]

I use plumbers tape on all things that has threads I have cured small leaks many times. On the lighter side I watch Moonshiners and they use past to cure leaks, lol That might be quick temp leak stopper (always wanted to be a moonshiner but enjoy lookin in not out.

Back