Safale 04 temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigskygreg

Reaction score
I pitched a rehydrated package of safale 04into a brown ale about 8 hours ago at 66. I plan to ferment at around 62. But now I'm a little confused. The fermentis info says ideal temp is 59-68. However, brew shop sites (MBandNB) show higher ideal temps (64-72&64-75).

Should I ferment a little warmer or leave it at 62? I usually make this batch with wlp007 around 62.

Thanks guys!

Keep it 62-64 at the beginning, then when fermentation slows down let it rise to 66-68 to help it finish. S-04 flocs extremely well, so it's important to give it some help to keep it active at the end.

I've got the carboy in a water bath. Ambient temp is 64. I think I'll let it warm up to the 64 and hold it there. Thanks for the help

I would've tho it that brew shop sites would just post ideal temps based on the manufacturers info. I wonder what info/reasons they are using to post higher ideal ranges?

Cheers!

Keep it 62-64 at the beginning, then when fermentation slows down let it rise to 66-68 to help it finish. S-04 flocs extremely well, so it's important to give it some help to keep it active at the end.

I use the same temps for S-04.

It's hard to say where the other numbers come from, but I tasted an Irish red done in the low-mid 70's on S-04. Even at three months old, it was loaded with esters and some unpleasant off-flavors.

Thanks Big Floyd. I fermented x 2 weeks at 62. My final gravity was higher than expected, but probably had to do with mash temp and added english crystal.I have bottled it up and am hopeful that things turn out.

Thanks

I've brewed with S-04 in the low 70's high 60's range with great results. My favorite thing about this yeast is how a beer will age so well with it. I use it mostly for my dark beers and I have found that after 6 months of aging, you don't even need to worry about the yeast dregs when you pour. If you get some, they will taste good and not distract from the beer at all.

Latest posts

Back