Saazig Pfest IPA (Extract w/Grains)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groo

Reaction score
Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: S-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 2.4
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 49.1
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 7.9
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 at 65-66
Tasting Notes: Lychee like aroma with some Floral notes, nice bitterness with a little bit of bread like character in the flavor.

First off this brew tasted damn good to me, the aroma was something totally different for an IPA and it seemed to work. I'm new to brewing and this was my 4th brew and my 1st attempt at making a recipe. It was based on what I had on hand and would love to make it into a partial mash. It's obviously and IPA made from mostly Saaz and Sterling. I've read the hop profile for Saaz and Sterling which say Earth, Spicy etc. I'm thinking the Spicy flavor is what I describe as Floral. I'm not getting the earthiness at all.

2.75 lb DME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract 78.6 %
0.50 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 14.3 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.1 %
0.50 oz Sterling [7.50%] (60 min) Hops
0.50 oz Sterling [7.50%] (20 min) Hops
0.50 oz Saaz [3.00%] (20 min) Hops
0.50 oz Saaz [3.00%] (10 min) Hops
0.25 oz Saaz [3.00%] (0 min) Hops
0.25 oz Sterling [7.50%] (0 min) Hops
0.75 oz Saaz [3.00%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops
0.75 oz Sterling [7.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops

All hops were leaf variety.

Overall it was great but I'd like to tweak it here and there. First off I'd like to switch it to a Partial Mash but have no idea how since I'm not sure what is exactly in the amber DME. Also ended up bottling only 2 gallons because the rest was stuck in the leaf hops. I'd like to try with pellets to see how different it would taste.

Any idea what BJCP category this is? Would it still go in american IPA?

Briess Amber extract is pale along with some Munich and crystal (http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Malt_Extracts.htm#SparklingAmber ), although that wouldn’t be true of all of them. Since it was such a small amount you could probably just go all pale and not miss it, or replace the light extract with pale malt and keep the amber in there.

Sterling can have a fruity/floral component compared to regular Saaz (which is mostly spice for me), maybe that is what you are picking up.

Like a lot of beers this one probably wouldn’t fit neatly into a BJCP category. The hop/flavor wouldn’t match an IPA, and the rest of the beer wouldn’t match a Bohemian Pils.

I like whole hops for dry hopping, but I put them in bags to prevent them from clogging my siphon, and weigh them down with marbles.

Glad to hear it came out well, recipe design is one of the best parts of the hobby IMHO.

Thanks Oldsock. My only complaint with my brew is that it isn't dry enough. If I take out the crystal and the amber dme which has the crystal it would probably solve this. If I do another 2.5 gallon batch I could go all grain and mash the pale malt. Maybe I'll try one with American 2 row and one with Maris Otter.

The hop additions were right on for me and the bitterness was perfect, it was so much different than the bitterness I got from Northern Brewer on my first brew. Softer but just a bitter.

BTW, your website is awesome. I'm a subscriber and check it out all the time.

Agreed, .25 lbs of crystal isn't a huge amount, but there is nothing wrong with just using a pale extract or base malt if you want a pale/dry beer.

Glad you've enjoyed the blog!

Back