s23 experiences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stz

Reaction score
Hello HBT.
I want to home brew my first 'proper' lager. But it won't be a 'proper' lager, actually, maybe it will be a proper lager because it'll involve amylo glucosidase, pilsner, rice, though deviating into 15-22IBU's of whirlpool citra and about 4g/L of dry hop. SG 32, proposed FG 0 or thereabout.

ANYWAY. I brew so much commercial lager using S23 and I hate it so much. The thing is, we brew 'hot' 'craft' lager which is basically where you run it as hot as you dare with as low a pitch rate as you dare and accept the 'fruity' flavours. Recommended pitch rates are up to 3g/L for cold fermentation.

What that does mean is I've access to maybe 50lb of thick S23 slurry at any one time and I'm looking to benefit from the super pitch rates and do a 'proper' cold pitch, german process.

The more I read about others experiences with S23 the more it seems that everybody agrees that it should be warm fermented, like 12-15C. I've fermented it commercially at everything from 12 to 16C and at temperatures over 12C it is horrific, like creamed corn.

I was looking to pitch A LOT of yeast and ferment it at like, 8C? Does anybody have any advice or experience? It might be that this yeast is simply not suitable for a cold ferment, but I'd love to try it to see the difference compared to our core lager.

Hello HBT.
I want to home brew my first 'proper' lager. But it won't be a 'proper' lager, actually, maybe it will be a proper lager because it'll involve amylo glucosidase, pilsner, rice, though deviating into 15-22IBU's of whirlpool citra and about 4g/L of dry hop. SG 32, proposed FG 0 or thereabout.

ANYWAY. I brew so much commercial lager using S23 and I hate it so much. The thing is, we brew 'hot' 'craft' lager which is basically where you run it as hot as you dare with as low a pitch rate as you dare and accept the 'fruity' flavours. Recommended pitch rates are up to 3g/L for cold fermentation.

What that does mean is I've access to maybe 50lb of thick S23 slurry at any one time and I'm looking to benefit from the super pitch rates and do a 'proper' cold pitch, german process.

The more I read about others experiences with S23 the more it seems that everybody agrees that it should be warm fermented, like 12-15C. I've fermented it commercially at everything from 12 to 16C and at temperatures over 12C it is horrific, like creamed corn.

I was looking to pitch A LOT of yeast and ferment it at like, 8C? Does anybody have any advice or experience? It might be that this yeast is simply not suitable for a cold ferment, but I'd love to try it to see the difference compared to our core lager.

With access to that much free yeast, you should be able to do a standard lager ferment at 10c with S23.
I used this yeast just once, at that temp, and it worked fine.
Only potential concern might be that the free yeast that was run hot may be stressed and produce odd results.
I would give it a try though. If it works well, you have your lager yeast free for years to come.

Latest posts

Back