S-23 Time and Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i just pitched 2 packs of S-23 into 10 gallons of 1.060 wort chilled to 51f...

just kinda need a refresher on temps for lager yeasts...i picked 51f because it's in the middlish ground of 58f and 48f...

is it TOO cold though? i'm shooting for around a two week ferment time. :mug:

Try it and find out. I've only used S-23 one time. It didn't make a bad beer, but also wasn't great IMHO.

Don't ever rush your lagers if fermenting cold. If you want it done faster, warm it up.

I like S-23 very much. I like it way more than W34/70, it's a unique strain that produces a clean Lager with a tiniest bit estery oomph.
It's not an all-purpose Lager yeast though. It won't make a perfect German Pilsner: it's a bit too oomphy for that.
However, it's the only dry yeast to make the genuine Wiener Lager. Also, it's the best dry option for the true historical Polish Baltic Porter. Much better than M84.
I think of it as of perfect yeast for all things Austro-Hungarian, be that Wiener or all sorts of Bohemian. And also for all things Polish: Baltic Porter and Polish Pilsners that stand closer to Czech than to German.
Wiener, Czech & Polish Lagers, Baltic Porter. That's all.
Don't try anything German or "International", you'll be disappointed (and that's where most of the complains for this yeast comes from). I don't know much about S-23 in American recipes, I rarely brew American Lagers, and when I do I use W34/70.

It's a warm-loving yeast. 51F is a bit too cold for it. At such a low temp it could just drop off (another reason for many internet complaints). I ferment it no lower than 12C/54F, and ideally at 14C/57F. It must have some tiny esters, it's not a fault with this strain.

Last edited:
In last two Lagering Seasons, I brewed two three classic Baltic Porters: a Polish (Okocim), a Latvian (Aldaris) and a Ukrainian (Lwiwski) versions, all with S-23. All three came out awesome. Previously, I used M84 for this style and was less satisfied. It turns out, Baltic Porter loves it some chewy low-attenuating estery yeast, which description S-23 fits perfectly.
Which kind of beer is that you're fermenting now with S-23?

Last edited:
Which kind of beer is that you're fermenting now with S-23?

well it's home malt, the oven creeped up to 200f when i was kilning, so it came out a bit darker then i wanted. it was only like an hour at 200f before i caught it though, so it's a kinda redish light brown hue. i added 2oz of santiam hops at 45 minutes, 10 gallon batch....

I'll call it Arizona A/C Chill.

being i know it's not going to taste like silk, like a great lager. i'm hoping for a lightly toasted wonder bread flavor?

:mug:

In my opinion, for S-23 the darker the grist the better. So, I'd say you nailed a perfect match.
I was worrying you were brewing a 1.060 Imperial Pilsner which would add to the poor yeast's bad rap afterwards.
Many blame it for producing a substandard Pilsner. And they are right. It's another thing that this yeast isn't meant for brewing Pilsners.

Last edited:
I haven’t used S-23 in years but I just kegged up a batch I brewed 2 weeks ago and I pitch CellarScience Berlin which I think is the same . I agree with Protos I think S-23 may get a bad rap unfairly.

What I’m about to say I’m
Not recommending just sharing my experiment. I made a sort of amber Vienna type lager and fermented at 63 degrees intentionally for 10 days the bumped to 67 for 3 days and off to the keg. I will lager for a few weeks at 35 and try it out. I want to see what it does. I seem to remember making a Steam Beer with it years ago and thinking it did well but my old notes weren’t the best. When racking my fg sample it had a definite red apple aroma to my sniffer.

ok, back to my question...i just had to open my fermenter to make sure it was active, it is barley. but at 51f, and being i don't want to have to keep opening the fermenter to peak at it, it's in a SS milk pail.

what do you guys think 2 weeks, three? let it go 4 weeks, and it's a guarantee?

ok, back to my question...i just had to open my fermenter to make sure it was active, it is barley. but at 51f, and being i don't want to have to keep opening the fermenter to peak at it, it's in a SS milk pail.

what do you guys think 2 weeks, three? let it go 4 weeks, and it's a guarantee?
I think if I was you & if I had temp control I would go a little warmer like 55-58 & let it roll for another 7 days then bump it up to the mid to upper 60s for 3 days.

I think if I was you & if I had temp control I would go a little warmer like 55-58 & let it roll for another 7 days then bump it up to the mid to upper 60s for 3 days.

sound advice, but i'm having fun with it at 51f just for the hell of it. i mean 58f, mightest well be an ale at 62f! ;) :mug:

Best of luck! Well to answer you question in post 11 I think I would give it 2 weeks minimum at that temp then take a gravity reading prior to your diacetyl rest then go from there.

Best of luck! Well to answer you question in post 11 I think I would give it 2 weeks minimum at that temp then take a gravity reading prior to your diacetyl rest then go from there.

so your guesstimate is two weeks, probably done. that's what i was trying to get a feel for, without my own experience under my belt...

(usually i'm trying to get ales done in 3 days, why i think this is 'cool', and fun...kinda the opposite! but i have extra time to devote to it :mug:)

As suggested in Brewing Classic Styles, I brewed a schwarzbier using S-23. I should have waited until later in the year when my basement is at lager fermentation temps. So it fermented at around 66F (Brulosophy approved 😄). Just kegged it so I'll let you know how it came out soon (maybe on the Warm Fermented Lager thread).

As suggested in Brewing Classic Styles, I brewed a schwarzbier using S-23. I should have waited until later in the year when my basement is at lager fermentation temps. So it fermented at around 66F (Brulosophy approved 😄). Just kegged it so I'll let you how it came out soon (maybe on the Warm Fermented Lager thread).

so hopefully if that yeast cake on the driveway was any indication, it was a healthy ferment? lol :mug:

edit: speaking of that you just gave me an idea....if i'm already at 51f with s-23, should i throw my pressure lid on and ferment at 5psi too?

I would move it to 12C/54F or 14C/57F as soon as possible and leave there for 3 weeks, because the batch has had a littile too cold of a start, who knows how the yeasties feel themselves because of that.
Interwebz are full of complaints of S-23 crapping out at 10C/51F, so successfull fermentation with this yeast at low temperature isn't guaranteed.
It's not a classic Bavarian cold-loving yeast, S-23 doesn't like to be fermented too cold.

CellarScience Berlin
Please report how the fermentation proceeds, it's very interesting to learn if various versions of this strain differ from each other.
Besides Fermentis S-23, this strain is also sold in dry form as VLB RH by Gozdawa. I've got a packet of it but haven't brewed with it yet. What I read from Polish and German brewing forums, it differs significantly from my experience with S-23. VLB RH seems to give slightly different flavour profile (no less estery than S-23, however) and to be even more fussy about the ferm temp choise.

I would move it to 12C/54F or 14C/57F as soon as possible and leave there for 3 weeks, because the batch has had a littile too cold of a start, who knows how the yeasties feel themselves because of that.
Interwebz are full of complaints of S-23 crapping out at 10C/51F, so successfull fermentation with this yeast at low temperature isn't guaranteed.
It's not a classic Bavarian cold-loving yeast, S-23 doesn't like to be fermented too cold.

hmm...well, you convinced to check the gravity, i brewed 10-12-22, pitched on the 13th....it had a OG of 1.060, the gravity is .......1.060 right now....so the temp is going up to 55f...thanks for the feedback guys! i probably would have been dissapointed even after the 4 weeks! lol

edit: and yeah i used a refractometer for it, and actually hoped somehow punching the OG and BRIX into a calc would tell it fermented somewhat! :D

Last edited:
2 packs of lager yeast for 10 gallons of 1.060 wort sounds like a large underpitch to me. I would expect a slow start at such a low temp and a longer fermentation. Possibly increased esters as well.

I brewed 10 gallons of helles once with s-23 and it came out a little too estery for me. Although I think I may have underpitched. I was less than impressed with s-23, but I want to like it! Brewing Classic Styles recommends it for a lot of lager styles. I suppose it just required a little more love than 34/70 which is fool proof IMO.

well i checked the gravity yesterday. down to 1.003, bumped the temp to 65f? figure the last 4 or so points can finish there. then i'll keg it!

(just thought i'd give the thread a conclusion :mug:)

well i checked the gravity yesterday. down to 1.003, bumped the temp to 65f? figure the last 4 or so points can finish there. then i'll keg it!

(just thought i'd give the thread a conclusion :mug:)
Wait a minute your O.G. was 1.060 correct? And your at 1.003 now and expecting to drop 4 more points? That would be monster attenuation in my opinion. At 1.003 most likely your fermentation is done but the yeast will sort of clean things up bit. I’m not sure what the yeast are doing at this point but I think they are eating the dead and starting to hibernate and sink to the bottom.

gluco baby! 💪

I'm brewing "Bracc'o Monsoon Lightning"! only 164 cals for 12oz 8% ABV beer! :mug:

🤙

(normally i like it darker then this, but i was hoping this would have been lighter...)

I literally just brewed up a German/Czech Pils today. 5 gallons 1.052 all Saaz/German Pils malt. Dry pitched 2 packs S-23. Letting it ride at 54F for 14 days, then 65F 14 days, then keg. Manufacturer's guide says optimal temp 53.6-64.4F.

Last edited:
i so like the tenth's! :mug: (i wish yeast could talk and complain about something like that! i'd so throw the yeast cake in the oven and make nutritional yeast out of them! ;))
Warning: trigger alert for pedantiphobiacs:

Whoever did the conversion from Celsius to Fahrenheit didn't follow the rules of significant digits and rounding in math. You can't just invent additional significant digits because the calculator shows it.

12°C to 18°C should have resulted in 54°F to 64°F.

i wish yeast could talk and complain about something like that!
If yeasts could talk... I guess, they'd start with complaints more substantial than decimals in F/C convertion.
"What a sh@t are you going to brew with me? Where did you get this hipster recipe with 12 malts, mashed potatoes and 200 IBU? No way will I ferment a slop like this, change the fricking recipe or I promise you, I'll give you some sulphury rubber and stuck at 1.040!!!".
🤣

well it's in kegs, first taste, it's really not all that good. but it took from the 13th, to the 23rd to ferment....and i did have to raise the temp, maybe because of the pitch rate. can't say for sure.

well it's in kegs, first taste, it's really not all that good. but it took from the 13th, to the 23rd to ferment....and i did have to raise the temp, maybe because of the pitch rate. can't say for sure.
Give it a couple weeks in the cold and try it again it will probably have improved drastically. What was the FG?

I like S-23 very much. I like it way more than W34/70, it's a unique strain that produces a clean Lager with a tiniest bit estery oomph.
It's not an all-purpose Lager yeast though. It won't make a perfect German Pilsner: it's a bit too oomphy for that.
However, it's the only dry yeast to make the genuine Wiener Lager. Also, it's the best dry option for the true historical Polish Baltic Porter. Much better than M84.
I think of it as of perfect yeast for all things Austro-Hungarian, be that Wiener or all sorts of Bohemian. And also for all things Polish: Baltic Porter and Polish Pilsners that stand closer to Czech than to German.
Wiener, Czech & Polish Lagers, Baltic Porter. That's all.
Don't try anything German or "International", you'll be disappointed (and that's where most of the complains for this yeast comes from). I don't know much about S-23 in American recipes, I rarely brew American Lagers, and when I do I use W34/70.

It's a warm-loving yeast. 51F is a bit too cold for it. At such a low temp it could just drop off (another reason for many internet complaints). I ferment it no lower than 12C/54F, and ideally at 14C/57F. It must have some tiny esters, it's not a fault with this strain.
What kind of attenuation do you get, Protos? Cheers.

Just adding a data point here since I tasted my new Pilsner today: Pitched 0.6g/L of S-23 at 60F, and raised to 63F after 5 days. Both aroma and flavor is pear cider. I have fermented S-23 cleanly before, but that beer did age for quite some time. I will probably need to let this one sit another month or two. I realize my pitching rate is low and that likely contributed. I just didn't realize how estery S-23 could be until now. :eek:

What kind of attenuation do you get, Protos? Cheers.
Just noticed your question.
Well, the median attenuation for some 25 beers I've brewed with it is 80%. Mostly 77% but sometimes up to 86% in a highly fermentable wort (no decoction, mashing low and long, no alpha-amylase rest). Never less than 75%.

Pitched 0.6g/L of S-23 at 60F, and raised to 63F after 5 days
I routinely pitch S-23 at 0.6 g/L and I won't say I'm getting excessive esters. It's rather the temperature that's bit too high. With 60F/15C pitching temp and raising soon to 63F/17C I'd expect a pretty estery brew.
I got the best results pitching at 12C/54F and raising to 14C/57F. I may go up to 63 or even 65F for a D-rest but not earlier that after day 10 when the fermentation is almost complete.

This yeast has actually quite a narrow optimal temp range. Too low, and it craps out. Too high, and it throws esters. That's where all the bad rap comes from. But when you're keeping within its preferred range, it produces great beers. I love it and I have 3 Lagers fermenting with it right now: a classic Wiener, a Polish Pilsener and a Bohemian Dunkel. A Baltic Porter and a Budweiser clone (the Czech original one, not an American Bud) are in the line to brew with S-23 in this lagering season too.

Last edited:
Last week I bottled a side-by-side yeast experiment of my Czech dark lager with S-23 vs. WLP833. At bottling I thought I preferred the S-23, but we'll see what happens after carbonation. Both were pretty clean, negligible esters, low sulfur, no diacetyl. The S-23 seemed smoother and the WLP833 more bitter, which is the opposite of what I'd expected. Both were fermented at 61 F (16 C) for the first week, then brought up to 67 F (room temp) for another week, followed by another couple weeks at 61 F. Both attenuated the same 77%. Can't wait to taste these carbonated, maybe will pop the first ones later this weekend. IF I remember (BIG IF), I might post some tasting notes later.

Back