S-04, US-05, or Danstar Windsor yeast for Burton/Bass Ale kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mascrappo

Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking through the forum for 2 hours and no luck. Anyone have experience with a Burton/Bass Ale extract kit and the dry yeast used? It came with Danstar Windsor. Is this good or should I go with Fermentis strains? Thanks

Hard to go wrong with S-04 especially trying to emulate something British.

Five of seven beers I made this year were done with S-04.

All the Best,
D. White

... extract kit ... Danstar Windsor

Windsor Product Details @ Lallemand said:
Windsor does not utilize the sugar maltotriose (a molecule composed of 3 glucose units).

Maltotriose is present in wort in an average 10-15% of all malt worts. The result will be fuller body and residual sweetness in beer. Be advised to adjust mash temperatures
according to desired result.

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/product-details/windsor-british-style-beer-yeast/

I haven't brewed extract+steep with Windsor for years. When I did, it would typically finish with a really high FG (18 - 20).

I would pick either s04 on its own, or windsor to start then a day later or so pitch us05 to bring the fg down more . I quite like the flavour/aroma of windsor but as suggested above it finishes high .

If you want a lower abv beer then windsor on its own would be best.

Back