RyePA critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennie1986

Reaction score
I learned a lot about recipe design a few days ago when I asked for critique of an IPA I brewed today. Well trying to improve on a RyePA using what I learned about hops on the last one and figured I try again to see what else I could learn. So here is my RyePA so far;

8lb 2Row 61.5%
2lb Rye malt 15.45%
2lb Munich 15.45%
1lb C40 7.7%

Mash @ 150 for 75min

1oz Amarillo FWH
1oz Amarillo @15
1oz Amarillo @10
1oz Amarillo @0
20 min hops stand
1oz Cascade Dry Hop 4days

Wyeast 1332

OG 1.062
51 IBU'S

Let me know what you think, thanks!

Looks pretty good to me. Might be a little more munich than I would use, just thinking you don't want to hide the rye (in fact could bump that up a bit if you want).
:mug:

chickypad said:
Looks pretty good to me. Might be a little more munich than I would use, just thinking you don't want to hide the rye (in fact could bump that up a bit if you want).

First time using rye malt and that's all I have of it so it will probably stay that way this time, I will certainly consider is next time. Last time I used flaked rye and don't think I got much in the way of rye flavor. I've read that Munich can be a bit malty, is that what your suggesting would hide the rye?

Yes, that is what I was thinking with the Munich. I'm far from a rye expert, but I have used 20% rye a couple times in pale/IPA styles and it seemed the right amount. One of those had 7% munich. I've also made the How Rye I Am saison a couple times with 25% rye total - 1/2 flaked and 1/2 rye malt. I love that beer.

chickypad said:
Yes, that is what I was thinking with the Munich. I'm far from a rye expert, but I have used 20% rye a couple times in pale/IPA styles and it seemed the right amount. One of those had 7% munich. I've also made the How Rye I Am saison a couple times with 25% rye total - 1/2 flaked and 1/2 rye malt. I love that beer.

Thank you for your input, I think I may drop the Munich down or altogether to get a real feel for the rye.

I use munich in my darker ryes that I want more of a malt impact from. I have also started addeding some aromatic malt. Essentially, I modified the grain bill from Northern Brewer's Surly Furious Clone to contain about 20% rye. Very, very good.

I think Vienna would be a good substitute for Munich, would give a similar but less prominent malt character. That being said upping the rye and dropping the specialty malt is another option

If you want to get a good idea of what a ryePA is like I would up the rye to 20% and cut out the munich and reduce the C40 to about 5%.

The hops look good. Amarillo and rye is a nice combo. I do a RyePA with amarillo and cascade that I really like.

How quickly do you cool your wort? A 0 min addition is good, but very different depending on your cooling time.

More dry hops never hurt anyone! Haha

I have been wanting to add a pump to my system so I can whirlpool hop.

I say give the recipe a shot as is, and tweak itis next time!

adamc said:
How quickly do you cool your wort? A 0 min addition is good, but very different depending on your cooling time.

More dry hops never hurt anyone! Haha

I have been wanting to add a pump to my system so I can whirlpool hop.

I say give the recipe a shot as is, and tweak itis next time!

I tried a hop Stand on a brew yesterday and plan to do that on this one. After the stand it yesterday's brew took me 25-30 min with a immersion chiller to get to 75f.

I totally agree with beergolf. Drop the Munich entirely because it will take away from the Rye flavor. I made a RyePa once with Munich and I could barely taste the Rye even at 20%.

Ok so I decided to scrap the Munich and replace the crystal 40 with 60 and use only 8oz to get me almost back to the srm I wanted. I upped the 2row to 10lbs bringing me to 80% 2row, 16% rye, and 4% c60. I also decided I want this to finish really dry so I'm going to mash at 148.

Ok so I decided to scrap the Munich and replace the crystal 40 with 60 and use only 8oz to get me almost back to the srm I wanted. I upped the 2row to 10lbs bringing me to 80% 2row, 16% rye, and 4% c60. I also decided I want this to finish really dry so I'm going to mash at 148.

Let us know how it turns out!

Brewing this today! Just finished my boil and went over my OG by .010. I have had a 68% effc. Consistently and some how it was 78%.

chickypad said:
Let us know how it turns out!

I ended up bottling this beer to early by accident. I ended up with gushers really quickly so I had to purge the caps several times. After two weeks in the bottle it tastes amazing! Probably the best beer I have brewed to date despite still being a bit over carbed. I may experiment with purging another bottle again but may not bother because if I pour it and just enjoy the aroma for a few minutes it seems to lighten up the carbonation to decent level. I think I really got a prefect balance of flavors out of this and plan to do it again as is. Nice and spicy from the rye but still more than enough hop flavor and aroma to satisfy the hop head in me and finishes with a good clean crisp bitterness. Thanks for the help on this one y'all!

Sweet. Glad you posted, I was just thinking about what to do with a pack of Pacman I need to use up. Maybe I'll give this a go, to compare with my last rye PA I made without crystal. I just harvested some homegrown cascade so that would work! What was the gravity when you bottled?

Brew it again, I have been doing so with my Rye PA and have it as my house ale.
But next time try having more like 30% rye malt. A-bloody-mazing!

chickypad said:
Sweet. Glad you posted, I was just thinking about what to do with a pack of Pacman I need to use up. Maybe I'll give this a go, to compare with my last rye PA I made without crystal. I just harvested some homegrown cascade so that would work! What was the gravity when you bottled?

After 3 weeks in primary it was 1.012 so I just figured it was done despite the fact I mashed around 148. Learned two lessons here, check hydro readings and I'm only going to bottle off the keg from now on.

Back