Rye Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonRikkles

Reaction score
I've got a rye saison ginned up for the fall. Thoughts?

5 gal
OG: 1.067
FG: 1.008
IBU: 32
SRM: 14.5
ABV: 7.7%

9 lbs Pilsner
2.25 lb Rye Malt
1.5 lb Munich
.25 lb Chocolate Rye
.75 lb Amber Candi Sugar

1.5 oz Styrian Goldings at 60
.65 oz Bobek at 15
.65 oz Bobek at flameout

Wyeast 3711 at 70 degrees.

Would the wyeast at this temperature do well to accentuate the spiciness of the rye and the hops?

Great idea. I've been considering this very thing.

Your malt bill is perfect. I might go with more rye (replacing pilsner) depending on the purpose of the beer. On the other hand, I am a rye-head.

For hops, that's cool. Wish I could try some of those Bobeks. I use Strisselspalt.

I'm of two minds. One the one hand, Saison is kind of defined by the yeast. On the other hand, a lot of saison character has been successfully replicated by simply adding spices with a neutral yeast (see also: American versions.)

Couple ideas to play around with would be the Unibroue yeast, which plays well with rye, and some spices. Or a biere de garde yeast with more aggressive spicing. Or, **** it, go full on 3711 and see what happens.

In the words of Morpheus, "you take a chance either way." A delicious, decadent chance.

What the heck, throw some Blackprinz in there for fun, too. Black rye saison? Where do I sign up?

I like your idea to add Blackprintz and I've toyed with the idea of a black saison. This beer is inspired by my sisters boxer puppy, though. She's a beautiful fawn and I want the beer color to match hers.

Back