Rye Malt & Bru'n Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEndorf

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
With the updated Grain bill input category, do we class Rye malt grain type as "Wheat/Oat" - (Any other non-barley malt)?

Thanks...

Thank you!
Interesting update.
Calls for more soda in this particular recipe.
I'll post the results.

With 3.50 G soda on a 10G batch, Ph came out at 5.25. Target was 5.35.
I'll have to re-check some of the new settings in the spreadsheet.

I start with exactly 20 gallons of RO in the HLT, but typically use 17-18 gallons.
I create the spreadsheet with exact volumes of mash and sparge. Then I (temporarily) change the mash volume to 20 gallons to get accurate salt additions to the HLT. Of course, soda or lactic are not part of this.

1.5 qt/lb is a fairly typical mashing thickness. I was worried that you were in the 2 plus range.

A tenth off, isn't bad. But that is still not as close as you wanted. I'm guessing that there is some dark grain in the grist to push the pH down?

1.5 qt/lb is a fairly typical mashing thickness. I was worried that you were in the 2 plus range.

Good to know that's considered average. I was brewing for a long time at around 1.25 but when using rye, increased the ratio and had much better results so now I keep all brews at 1.50.

A tenth off, isn't bad. But that is still not as close as you wanted. I'm guessing that there is some dark grain in the grist to push the pH down?

Not in this case. SRM is 8.
It's a Rye IPA. The heavy mineral additions pushed it down.
I've never been off target by a full 10th in Bru 'n Water.
Wondering if my grams scale is off.

Back