Rye IPA thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iagainsti

Reaction score
Putting together a recipe for my first Rye IPA. What do you think?

Target OG 1.068

Grain:

8 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Munich
2.5 lbs Rye
.5 lbs Honey Malt

Hops:

1 oz Columbus 60 min
.75 oz Centennial 15 min
.75 oz Amarillo 15 min
.5 oz Centennial 10 min
.5 oz Amarillo 10 min
.5 oz Centennial 5 min
.5 oz Amarillo 5 min
.5 oz Centennial flameout
.5 oz Amarillo flameout

Wyeast American Ale II

Do away with the honey malt and add an extra half lb of rye.

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

Do away with the honey malt and add an extra half lb of rye.

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

+1

Also, I love Columbus as a bittering hop in my Rye (I)PA's, I find that it accentuates the spicy rye character nicely

I like it. Its similar to my Rye PA I made a few months back. I second the Columbus as great bittering for a Rye and I love centennial with Rye as well. I also used giggles and a flavor hop at 30 and 20 and liked the results.

Here's a link if you wanna look it over
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/live-let-rye-pa-445432/

As you can see in notes I plan on rebrewing with just Columbus, fuggle and centennial with Amarillo strictly as a dry hop.

I did use Honey but only 4oz and used less Munich, your additional munic should give sweetness to negate using Honey malt. I used Victory malt as well for more malt complexity and color.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll nix the Honey malt.. Let you guys know how it goes!

I agee with dropping the honey malt.

Rye PA's are good with citrus hops like centennial. I also like a combo of Centennial/ Chinnook in a Rye PA.

I have one just about ready to bottle.

I'm currently working my way through a case of Rye PA brewed w/ a Brewers Best kit. It included 8oz of honey malt and I absolutely love the flavor! It's not enough to be an overpowering taste, but there's definitely a background hint of honey that's very enjoyable (tastes almost like a Bell's Hop Slam).

Back