Rye IPA Recipe...comments?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinghamtonEd

Reaction score
I am getting set to brew my 4th batch. I want to do an Rye-PA with some spiciness to it. Nothing too heavy. My limitation is that I only have a pot big enough to do a 2.25gal boil (upgrading is not in the cards at this point) and top up to 5 with water. I know this is far less than ideal, but it is what I have right now, and the first 2 have been drinkable (3rd is in primary). I will do a mini-mash in a bag in this pot with the grains @ 155 for an hour or so. Here is my recipe :

1lb 2-row
.5lb Crystal 60L
1.5lb Flaked Rye
3.3lb Light LME
1lb Amber DME

1.25oz Centennial @ 60
1oz US Perle @ 10
1oz US Perle @ 3

Thoughts?

i'd swap in half of your flaked rye for rye malt (or use more 2-row) otherwise you won't have enough diastatic power. i'd also mash a few F lower, 155F is pretty high for an IPA especially when used in conjuction with extract. i'd also ditch the amber DME for more light extract unless you already have it to give yourself more control. definitely needs more hops if this is to be an IPA too, at the least a dry hop.

also, kinda a waste to use centennial @60mins as you won't get any flavor/aroma out of it and there's cheaper/better hops to use (like perle for instance).

Back