Rye APA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njviking

Reaction score
I've never brewed a rye ale before but have been sampling them as of late so I might as well give it a shot.

Tpye. All grain BIAB.
Batch size. 6gal
Og est. 1.052
Fg est 1.009
Abv. est 5.57%
IBU est 44.43 tinseth
Srm 5.66
Yeast 05 ferment at 68.

Ingredients.

6.5 two row 61.9%
2 rye malt 19%
.75 carapils 7.1%
.75 red wheat 7.1%
.5 c40 4.8%

.5 amarillo @20 8.92 ibu
.5 simcoe @20. 13.8. Ibu
.5 cascade @20. 7.26.Ibu
.5 amarillo @5. 2.94. Ibu
.5 cascade @5. 2.39 ibu
.5 amarillo whirlpool for 40 starting at 170 5.37 ibu
.5 cascade whirlpool fot 40 starting at 170. 4.37 ibu

This is basically my house pale ale malt bill with the rye malt adjusted to around 20%. I'm not looking for a bitter beer as I'd like to see if the rye stands out underneath the hops. I'm a big fan of pairing simcoe and amarillo together. I just threw some cascade in there for good measure.

Hows it look? Not looking for a hop bomb, just looking to see if I will be able to pick up on the rye and have some flavor as well.

Im all ears.

i think it looks good.. 20% is about the right amount in my opinion. the spiciness of the rye should pair well with simcoe/amarillo.

Looks pretty good. I agree on the about 20% rye is a good amount. You can drop the carapils if you want. The wheat will give you head and mouthfeel.

The Amarillo/Simcoe would be very good in the recipe. Another combo that I like a lot in RYE IPA's is Centennial/Chinook.

If you have not picked up your yeast yet look at Denny's Favorite.. WY1450. For some reason this yeast works great with rye. I use it whenever I make a RYE IPA.

Rye beers are great, good luck on that, I bet this turns out awesome

I made a Rye DIPA last month and the bottles are just about carbed up so I can't wait to try some and get some of that delicious rye beer in my mouth.

I used Columbus, Chinook, and Amarillo hops in mine. Fermented with US05. Let us know how it turns out I'm betting it's gonna be pretty damned good

Drinking it now after 3weeks in the primary and 1 week carbing in the keg.

Very drinkable, the rye really shines through. I believe next time i will drop the carapils and c40 as thet gave it a sweetness I'm not really fond of. I also omitted the cascades and went with the simcoe and amarillo with a .5 oz charge of centennial as fw hops.

Honestly, this beer kinda reminds me of a farmhouse ale. Its not very bitter and the rye gives it a spicy character like a saison yeast.

Latest posts

Back