Autumn Seasonal Beer Rye and Ginger Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeru

AnarchoFermentalist
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter
not needed
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
28 (Caramel, hint of red)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Add more ginger to taste during secondary fermentation
Grain Bill:
57% 7 lbs Vienna
16% 2 lbs Maris Otter Pale
16% 2 lbs Rye Malt (Briess)
8% 1 lbs Honey Malt
2% 4 oz. Roasted Barley (Briess)
1% 2 oz Special B

Mash in at 150 for 60 min
Mash out at 167 for 10 min

60 minute boil

1 ounce East Kent Goldings (45 Min)
.5 ounce East Kent Goldings (15 min)
20 oz fresh ginger (chopper or mashed up) (20 min)
1 Tsp. Grains of Paradise (10 min)
1 Tsp. Irish Moss (10 Min)

Note: 20 oz may seem like a lot of ginger, but you really do need this much to get the strong ginger kick I'm going for. I also add more to taste in the secondary fermentation. If you like it super spicy, add 1-2 Tbls. of powdered ginger in the boil.

What I'm going for is a ginger beer reminiscent of the spicy jamaican style ginger beers, with a slight molasses and honey maltiness behind a powerful kick of ginger, but in an actual beer, not just fermented ginger and sugar. I also wanted the slight spiciness of the rye to compliment the ginger. I've made variations on this before, but this is the first with the rye and special B. Just brewing this now, so I will return in a couple weeks with tasting notes.

Last edited:
@Beeru
How did this turn out :) ?

Very good! The ginger didn’t initially have the bite I wanted. I went with a total of 20 oz in the boil and 10oz in the keg. It is pretty much what I was going for - a ginger snap with a slight sweetness and really strong ginger flavour.

Back