Rye ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hurley195

Reaction score
Hey Folks, this will be my third all-grain brew and still learning recipe building. Just wanted to generate some ideas for a recipe using RYE! I like the spicy note rye gives and I happen to have some ingredients lying around I need to use up. Oh, and I also have my own home grown hops to use. They are first year hops, so AA% and brews IBUs are somewhat unknown..

8.25# 2 row pale malt
1.5# Rye malt
8.5oz victory malt
8oz honey malt
8oz cara-amber malt
4oz cara-pils/dextrine

.5 oz nugget 60 min
.5 oz nuget 30 min
.12 oz willamette 10 min
.12 oz glacier 10 min

US-05 safale yeast

Using beersmith showed roughly 1.056 OG and appx. 25 IBU. I will be using a new PH meter and estimate I will need to lower mash PH by using gypsum in the mash as needed..

Im not huge on hops but want to balance them with the malt and spicy note of the rye. My goal is to hit a flavor profile that has spicy notes from the rye and the hops Im using, but add some nice counter balance with a small amount of honey malt and biscuity flavor of victory malt to make it have a well rounded flavor.

Am I in the ballpark with these ingredients and amounts?

I like about 20% rye in my rye beers. I didn't do the math, but Beersmith should have the percentages listed there for you.

I'd leave out the carapils- you don't need it as you'll get crazy good head retention from the rye and other cara malts, and that would mean a bigger percentage of base grain in the total grainbill.

I would say that you should hit your mash pH with reducing the water alkalinity, and not with the addition of gypsum. Your water may need the calcium (or not) depending on the base water, but I don't love a high sulfate level with those hops, unless you want a harsher firmer bitterness. It depends on what your current sulfate level is without it, of course.

Hello,

And I've brewed a couple of rye beers, both all grain. 10-20% of rye is good depending on how much you want to taste it. That being said, since everyone always says 20%, I just made one with over 30%, because, why not? There's also a German beer (roggenbier) that weighs in at up to 50% rye, or more, so it's really up to you. (Sorry if you knew this already.) The only thing that strikes me about this is that the strong flavors of the honey and cara- malts may influence how much you can specifically taste the rye. I don't know if you had just wanted to use them, but if you're looking for the rye taste maybe it would be better to drop them so the rye has less competition.

That's my two cents. Otherwise, go nuts and see how it turns out. Also, I'm little jealous of the homegrown hops. Hope it comes out well.

Back