Rye ale question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cajunbrewer14

Reaction score
First and foremost I'm pretty new at brewing beer. I've only got 3 brews under my belt. Currently I have a Cream Ale fermenting.

In a few weeks I'm wanting to start my next brew. I'm wanting to do a Rye Ale. I'm thinking of using 6.5 pounds of rye LME and 1 pound of gold Dme. My question is how do I add body to my extract beer? Ive read that some people steep rye malt or flaked malt? I'm not sure what the best to use? I also plan to use some medium crystal malt for color.

Anyone can help me on this?

Also what is the best hope to use in a rye ale?

Thanks!

You can certainly steep rye malt or flaked barley to add body. But you're also already adding crystal malt which should contribute unfermentable sugars to increase body. You might just be fine with adding crystal malt alone.

Usually recipes call for 20 minutes or 170 degrees. Btw, if you're brewing the Northern Brewing Rye Ale, I'd cut the hops in half unless you like hoppy beer. JMO

Yu can get body from Oats.

Get 1 lb of crushed base malt (Pale, 2-row, Pilsner, etc), and 1 lb of regular ROLLED oats from the store (or quick rolled oats). Do noy use 'Steel cut' oats.

Heat 3 quarts of water to 160 F (up to 165 F - lower will make it more fermentable). Add grains and oats. This shouldlower temperature to about 150 F 148 to 155 is good, again, lower temps make ore fermentable wort. Leave for about 30 minutes with lid on stirring occasionally. If temp drops, heat slowly while stirring.

After 30 minutes strain. This is easier to do if you have the grains in a bag. 5 gallon paint straining bags are cheap from the hardware store, and can be used. And re-used.

Have a second pot ready with 3 quarts of water at ~ 170 F. Put the strained grains in the fresh water and let sit for about 10 minutes. Remove and draing.

Collect all drained water. Will be about 5 quarts. Then start brew as normal using this water and adding whatever additional sugars and water required for the boil.

The 2 lbs of grain will add ~ 6 points, or the equivalent sugars as 1.5 lbs of LME.

If using Crystal malt, you can add that too to extract additional sugars with the mash rather than just steeping. Crystal has starches that can be converted to sugars with a mash. Use between 1.0 and 1.5 quarts of water per lb for the mash. For the sparge/rinse, the water volume is not as important.

@calder so I could substitute the DME for 1 ib of oats and 1ib of base malt by doing a partial mash? Is that what it is? Why am I heating the grain twice?

Sorry to sound ignorant just trying to understand and learn?

Also are you saying that I can add my crystal malts to this process?

Hells yes. Rye gives 5 times as much body as any other malt on the planet including oats & wheat. It's like no other. Your beer will have body. And if you want to make sure, then select your yeast carefully for a less attenuative one.

if you don't believe that, try doing an all grain batch with 50% rye. It won't even drain from the mash. With BIAB I usually squeeze the bag to get the last of the wort out. With lots of rye, I squeeze the bag to get any of the wort out.

I totally believe y'all! Thanks guys. I just know sometimes with extract you don't get the body you want.

What yeast do y'all recommend?

Honestly you can't go wrong with the Sierra Nevada strain: US-05 from Safale, Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP001. The citrus character you get from that strain when fermented cool will compliment the pepper character of the Rye. :mug:

US-05 is a very attenuative yeast. It would turn out alright, but if you care a lot about body, you might want to steer clear of that particular one. My votes for a rye beer would be a Kolsch or altbier yeast like K-97, WLP029, or Wyeast 1007.

US-05 is a very attenuative yeast. It would turn out alright, but if you care a lot about body, you might want to steer clear of that particular one. My votes for a rye beer would be a Kolsch or altbier yeast like K-97, WLP029, or Wyeast 1007.

I like K-97 and have been using it a lot lately. But it is highly attenuative like US-5. How about T-58?

I'm just wondering about using that much Rye LME.

I brew a Rye Ale that has 9# Maris Otter, 3# Rye Malt, and something like 6 oz of Flaked rye, 4 oz of Chocolate Wheat.

This is a kick-you-in-the-teeth-with-Rye-flavor Rye Ale. If you like Rye, you'll love this. I can't imagine what it would taste like if almost all the grain bill was Rye. Or extract bill, in this case.

Is this from a Recipe or something you're whomping up yourself?

Wyeast 1272 or Denny Favorite 50 Wyeast 1450 they both work really with Rye flavors. I would tend to avoid looking for a yeast that throws off fruit esters.

I just opened a bottle of my first Rye Ale and was surprised that it has an excellent body using 6.6 lbs Rye LME and 1.5 lbs Pilsen DME. It's really rich
against all expectations. No steeping grains. Could get addicted to it.

I'm just wondering about using that much Rye LME.

I brew a Rye Ale that has 9# Maris Otter, 3# Rye Malt, and something like 6 oz of Flaked rye, 4 oz of Chocolate Wheat.

This is a kick-you-in-the-teeth-with-Rye-flavor Rye Ale. If you like Rye, you'll love this. I can't imagine what it would taste like if almost all the grain bill was Rye. Or extract bill, in this case.

Is this from a Recipe or something you're whomping up yourself?

I believe the rye LME is only 20% rye

Thanks y'all. I appreciate all the help! I'm gonna do some research on all the recommendations on yeast to use!

I just opened a bottle of my first Rye Ale and was surprised that it has an excellent body using 6.6 lbs Rye LME and 1.5 lbs Pilsen DME. It's really rich
against all expectations. No steeping grains. Could get addicted to it.

I love a rye beer. What color did you get? Have a picture?

I believe the rye LME is only 20% rye

There's a good reason that rye LME is only 20%. Rye malt tends to make a sticky mess in the mash and make it hard to drain the tun. The story goes that the staff at the malting houses try to take vacation when rye LME is planned. My experience with rye in BIAB would tend to confirm the possibility of the story being true.:rockin:

You could try CaraRye to add some body. I'm currently fermenting a rye beer that has rye lme, pilsen dme, Cararye, and chocolate rye. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

I love a rye beer. What color did you get? Have a picture?

I'm not bierman but I have to show this since you're asking about color. My rye ale has 6 oz of Chocolate Wheat in it for color and head retention. It produces this, which IMO is the ideal color since Rye Bread is brown too! :)

ryebeer.jpg

Since we're talking about rye, hopefully this isn't a thread-jack. I bought a pound or two of crystal rye malt last year. No idea what to do with it. Yes I know I'm an idiot, but it was shiny.

Just use it like 55°L crystal malt and get a little rye character (not much) for free?

Since we're talking about rye, hopefully this isn't a thread-jack. I bought a pound or two of crystal rye malt last year. No idea what to do with it. Yes I know I'm an idiot, but it was shiny.

Just use it like 55°L crystal malt and get a little rye character (not much) for free?

Yes, I would use it just like a Crystal 55. Should be yummy in any style.

Back