Rusty scratches in bottom of corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quaffman

Reaction score
So today I was cleaning some corny kegs after they sat for about 6 months with old beer sitting in them. I used a carboy brush and may have scrubbed too hard because i noticed some scratches on the bottom that appeared to accumulate rust. I am curious what can be done to salvage the keg. I thought the last batch in this keg went bad, so I'm not sure if it's worth trying to use for beer, or if I should just use it for seltzer water or soda.

I don't believe your cleaning with the carboy brush caused the damage. If there are signs of rust, the stainless was already scratched deep enough to cause it to rust with the beer in constant contact with it. You can always use it to store your sanitizer.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. I just was curious if anyone else has had luck using a corny for beer after they cleaned the rust without getting an infection.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. I just was curious if anyone else has had luck using a corny for beer after they cleaned the rust without getting an infection.

There have been plenty of success stories. It's just a matter of degree. Given the price of kegs these days it's surely worth a shot...

Cheers!

Back