Rusty I am... Did mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wags13

Reaction score
Sanitized my primary with diluted bleach... 1 tablespoon to gallon and aired dry (didn't rinse). Am I safe to sip when she's done?

For bleach you should rinse with hot water.

You will have had residue on the sides of the fermenter. It's not much, and I don't know if you will be able to tell, but bleach is not considered to be a 'No-rinse' sanitizer.

It will certainly be safe.

Seriously though, in small amounts you should be fine. I hope you don't taste the bleach too strongly. I'd recommend star san for future sanitizing needs. Good luck.

Pie_Man said:
Seriously though, in small amounts you should be fine. I hope you don't taste the bleach too strongly. I'd recommend star san for future sanitizing needs. Good luck.

Yes indeed. I have some now. It wast first brew in a while.

Thanks!

I hate to bring this up, but I'm not convinced you won't get serious off-flavors. Even in small quantities chlorine can cause some flavor issues. It is not just the bleach flavor, but the chlorine interacts with polyphenols in the beer to produce chlorophenols, which have a medicinal/band-aid/clove like flavor and are detectable in very minute amounts.

Maybe things are fine, but just be on the look out for those medicinal flavors and realize that if you find them, they're likely a result of the residual bleach.

JLem said:
I hate to bring this up, but I'm not convinced you won't get serious off-flavors. Even in small quantities chlorine can cause some flavor issues. It is not just the bleach flavor, but the chlorine interacts with polyphenols in the beer to produce chlorophenols, which have a medicinal/band-aid/clove like flavor and are detectable in very minute amounts.

Maybe things are fine, but just be on the look out for those medicinal flavors and realize that if you find them, they're likely a result of the residual bleach.

+1, couldn't if stated it better myself!

When and if I use bleach for sanitation... I rinse the hell out of the equipment with cold water.

Cold water doesn't get rid of bleach residue. ..... Yes, I'm sure after enough you will get rid of it. Hot water is what gets rid of bleach. Hot tap water is fine. For a fermenter, a couple of rinses with a couple of pints of hot water (just enough to rinse the surfaces) is sufficient.

Thank you all for the input. Tasted it today, definitely had a plasticky, almost bitter taste upon the finish. Damn. I am not sure what the culprit is though. Could be the bleach... Could also be that it was left in only a primary for the duration of the ferm. I also left it in the primary a few days past the end of reaction.. I was told that could also impact the finish... Thoughts?? Definitely gonna rack to a second, and starsan only from now on.

When and if I use bleach for sanitation... I rinse the hell out of the equipment with cold water.

Not to knock you (or anyone else that uses bleach), but I've never understood this. To me it seems that you immediately negate any sanitation you've done by rinsing with large quantities of water.

I also left it in the primary a few days past the end of reaction.. I was told that could also impact the finish... Thoughts?? Definitely gonna rack to a second, and starsan only from now on.

People often leave there beer in primary for a month or longer without any adverse effects. I wouldn't think it's your issues. Do you have any other knowledgeable homebrewers in your area that could taste it and provide some feedback?

IffyG said:
Not to knock you (or anyone else that uses bleach), but I've never understood this. To me it seems that you immediately negate any sanitation you've done by rinsing with large quantities of water.

Yes I agree. It would need to be boiling as far as I understand.

My understanding is that the concentration of bacteria in most municipal water supplies is extremely low (this is why there is chlorine in municipal water). Most of the ones that are able to survive are typically not happy in acidic, high osmotic conditions of wort. High yeast pitching rates keep the concentration of any that do exist very low.

With that said, I'd still boil any water and use a non-rinse sanitizer. But then, again, I have a well.

bioguy said:
My understanding is that the concentration of bacteria in most municipal water supplies is extremely low (this is why there is chlorine in municipal water).

and this is also why municipal water may not be great to brew with - the same chlorine (and also chloramine) issue. This is why I use store-bought spring water and others carbon filter their tap water.

So I think you have it right, the off flavors are what you desscibed. Certainly drinkable, great front flavor but the finish is plasticky.... By the way, I see you are from attleboro. Im in Waltham, but this past brew was concocted in N. attleboro at my buddies house. Small world! Do you get supplies locally?

So I think you have it right, the off flavors are what you desscibed. Certainly drinkable, great front flavor but the finish is plasticky.... By the way, I see you are from attleboro. Im in Waltham, but this past brew was concocted in N. attleboro at my buddies house. Small world! Do you get supplies locally?

Small world indeed! I get all my supplies at Blackstone Valley Brewing in Woonsocket, RI. Between the selection, customer service, and price I have no need to go anywhere else. Might be too far for you to go from Waltham, but if you're looking for a good shop, you should check it out.

Sorry about the plasticy flavor. When I was using my tap water I used to get something similar - I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but there was always this weird aftertaste. Then one day my brother (also a homebrewer) was over and took a glass of water from the tap to drink...he immediately asked, after tasting the abundant chlorine, "You don't brew with this water, do you?" I started using spring water after that and haven't had an issue with that particular off-flavor.

Nah... you ain't knockin' me. But I have yet to have any kind of sanitation issues with my brewery. Until I do... I'll keep doin' it this way.

Gary

Back