American Pale Ale Russian River Row 2 Hill 56 Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying this recipe to start out as it sounds delicious!

I have:
OiO 2-row Malt
Halcyon Pale Ale Malt (Thomas Fawcett & Sons)
Brown Malt (Thomas Fawcett & Sons)

...I'm hopeful this will still make a great brew, while not being exact to the recipe. Any advice or whatever words of encouragement are appreciated!

Wondering whether to go with WLP001 California Ale yeast or WLP002 English Ale yeast?

Holy heck, this grain bill.. I modified the hops slightly (added Citra to the hopstand and threw some in for dry-hopping) and it might be one of the best beers I've ever brewed. Do you think changing the crystal colour to 60 would have a negative impact? I might use this grain bill in other pale ales in future.

Thanks for sharing

Wondering whether to go with WLP001 California Ale yeast or WLP002 English Ale yeast?

For a hop-forward beer such as this, go with the American yeast.

I'm trying this recipe to start out as it sounds delicious!

I have:
OiO 2-row Malt
Halcyon Pale Ale Malt (Thomas Fawcett & Sons)
Brown Malt (Thomas Fawcett & Sons)

...I'm hopeful this will still make a great brew, while not being exact to the recipe. Any advice or whatever words of encouragement are appreciated!

Id go easy on the brown malt only 2 to 4% imo and id use 001 better for hoppy beers especially with the brown malt in it.

Mine turned out fantastic.

I've read that this grain bill is good for supporting other single hop recipes...

what have others used besides simcoe but with this grain bill?

I used us-05 finished at 1008. I really prefer that range. I set my chamber to 64 and let her rip.

I haven't forgotten how great this recipe was. Next brew day can't happen soon enough!

Mine turned out fantastic.

I've read that this grain bill is good for supporting other single hop recipes...

what have others used besides simcoe but with this grain bill?

I used us-05 finished at 1008. I really prefer that range. I set my chamber to 64 and let her rip.

indeed it is.
I did mosaic awhile back.
I also mixed the hops up using the same schedule. simcoe amarillo centennial

May try this with Columbus instead of Simcoe. Loved it with Simcoe, just trying something different.

Brewed this up a few weeks ago (only difference from OP was yeast, I used Dennys Favorite) and it turned out great.

Brewing another batch tomorrow with all galaxy hops instead of simcoe.

Brewed this up a few weeks ago (only difference from OP was yeast, I used Dennys Favorite) and it turned out great.

Brewing another batch tomorrow with all galaxy hops instead of simcoe.

I just got a pound of Galaxy. Let us know how it turns out.

I brewed this up per the original recipe on 2/11/17 and pitched a big starter of wlp001. OG 1.053. Fermented for 7 days at 68. I then days I dry hopped (in primary) and raised it to 70 until today (6 days). The raise was simply me pulling it out of my germ chamber and leaving it at room temp. My hydrometer broke in the middle of this so I didn't get a gravity at the time of dry hopping. But tonight when I was checking it with my new one before cold crashing my fg was 1.003. Anyone else had it attenuate that far down? My mash temp did drop during the mash (ending at 151) so I was probably dealing with a slightly more fermentable wort than intended but still that is some serious attenuation.
Still the hydro samples have tasted great so I'm not super concerned. It will still be an awesome beer. Maybe just a tad drier than the real deal (which I've never had lol)

Just made this , a 10 gallon batch in the Blichman fermenator. How best to dry hop? I have a SS hop screen I use in my kegs, can I dry hop in the fermentor? I would drain the trub etc out the bottom then dry hop.
advice appreciated... gravity at 1.011 as of last night. Started at 1.066 using 05.

Does your new hydrometer read 1.000 in room temp water? I've had to return a couple hydrometers. Some of them just aren't very accurate.

So I tested it and no it does not :/ it is reading 0.996 at 68 degrees. So can I simply add .004 to my readings to get a (pretty much) accurate reading in the future or should I just buy a new one? Either way the beer is nearly done carbing but I've already drank a few pints of it because it is fantastic! Highly recommend this recipe!

Has anyone tried making this with S-05? I'm wondering if it's worth going to the trouble of using a liquid yeast.

So I tested it and no it does not :/ it is reading 0.996 at 68 degrees. So can I simply add .004 to my readings to get a (pretty much) accurate reading in the future or should I just buy a new one? Either way the beer is nearly done carbing but I've already drank a few pints of it because it is fantastic! Highly recommend this recipe!

Most likely it's off by .004 over the whole scale, so yes you can just add .004 to your reading. It can happen, but it's much more rare for the hydrometer to have the degree of inaccuracy change over the extent of the scale as that would require the scale to be compressed or stretched out. In most cases, the scale placement is just off by a little bit so you can assume the same error throughout.

As long as your hydrometer is calibrated to read 1.000 @ 68F then yes, .004. However, most hydrometers that I have seen are calibrated @ 60F, it should say somewhere on the hydrometer.

I took a shot at brewing this yesterday on my BIAB system, scaled up to a 10 gallon batch:

12.1 lb Castle Belgian Pilsner
6.5 lb Marris Otter
1.4 lb Crystal 20

0.92 oz Simcoe @ 90
0.92 oz Simcoe @ 30
1.67 oz Simcoe @ 0

Since I have a 15 gallon kettle, I split my water up: 10.5 gallons for mash, 3.9 gallons for "sparge". I used 4g of gypsum, 12g CaCl, 8mL lactic acid split proportionally between the two water supplies. I use RO water as my source. Mash pH was 5.45 at the 30 minute mark.

After mashing I put the bag in my colander at the top of my kettle and poured some of my "sparge" water over it, which I had heated to 160F. Gave the bag a good squeeze, set it aside, and continued filling the kettle with my "sparge" water to 12.9 gallons (13.2 gallons @ 150F). I didn't quite use up all my 3.9 gallons of "sparge" water, as I was able to squeeze a little more wort out of the bag than expected. My boil gravity came in at 1.047.

Boiled for 90 minutes, and let the 0 minute hops addition steep for 15 minute before chilling to 72F. Took 17 minutes to go from 198F to 72F with my Silver Serpent chiller - pretty good for only being a 25' chiller.

After chilling I had 11 gallons in my kettle, of which I collected 10.5 - half a gallon more than I'd planned. Lots of trub and hops sediment in there too, though.

I still hit an OG of 1.055, had over 97% conversion efficiency, and 78% brewhouse efficiency. Late last night I pitched three rehydrated packs of US-05, and now I'm waiting for fermentation to start.

I plan to dry hop with 4.5oz 5 days into fermentation so that as fermentation tapers off it can push out any oxygen that gets introduced by dry hopping. I'll cold crash @ day 10, fine with gelatin @ day 11, and bottle @ day 12.

I like this recipe because I can use all of an 8oz pack of Simcoe for a 10 gallon batch :)

I just got a pound of Galaxy. Let us know how it turns out.

I definitely preferred the all simcoe version over the all galaxy. The galaxy was good, I enjoyed the mellow fruitiness, but it was a little too 'one note' compared to the simcoe.

I would think mosaic would be a good hop for this recipe as it has complexity similar to simcoe.

I definitely preferred the all simcoe version over the all galaxy. The galaxy was good, I enjoyed the mellow fruitiness, but it was a little too 'one note' compared to the simcoe.

I would think mosaic would be a good hop for this recipe as it has complexity similar to simcoe.

I also did the mosaic and will be doing it again.

I just did an all new Zealand ipa with some of the galaxy instead.

This is the next batch I have planned and I specifically like the looks of the grain bill. I don't have any Simcoe, but I do have a pound each of Centennial, Cascade, Jarrylo, and Sorachi Ace. I obviously won't be cloning Hill 56 with such a difference in hops, but I'm ok with that; I'll just brew this again as a straight up clone once I have Simcoe on hand.

From the grouping of hops I have I wanted to try something a little different. As others have stated Jarrylo is good when paired with another hop, so I was going to take the more citrus heavy Cascade and Pair it with Jarrylo.

That would be Jarrylo as a FWH, then the 30min, whirlpool, and dry hop would each be @ a 2:1 ratio of Cascade over Jarrylo. Any advise on whether that hop combo with this grain bill should work? If not, I assume a Cascade/Centennial brew would result in a great (albeit common) product.

I will be brewing this for the 3rd time this weekend, except I'm using mosaic. For those that have used mosaic, did you do exact same qty and schedule?

Also, I will be using 1968 esb ale yeast instead of 1056, as that is all I have on hand, and don't feel like another trip to the lhbs.

I will be brewing this for the 3rd time this weekend, except I'm using mosaic. For those that have used mosaic, did you do exact same qty and schedule?

Also, I will be using 1968 esb ale yeast instead of 1056, as that is all I have on hand, and don't feel like another trip to the lhbs.

1968 will be fine (It'll probably actually make quite a nice beer)
Stick with the same additions for mosaic. if you weerto change anything you could decrease the 60min addition to keep the bitterness in check, but i dont think its really necessary.

My last 2 batches with the simcoe was exactly like the op. I wanted to cut back on the dry hop on my second one, but i forgot, for the mosaic, i will def cut down to 1.5oz vice 2 oz , i want more of an even flavor not quitemso hoppy.

I just bottled this recipes' exact grain bill substituting Jarrylo and Centennial for the Simcoe (as its what I had on hand), and turned out to be a really fantastic hop combo. The smell is out of this world but taste is a bit more hop forward than most APAs.

I'm going to let this sit for a little while in hopes that it balances out a little and drops some of the yeasty phenols I'm getting (I pitched a really old stock of WLP002 after building up cell count, so I'm sure there's some mutation). It was fermented @ 63F with 1 week rest @ 70F to finish up @ 1.008. I don't think 2 gravity points would be enough for a perceived mouthfeel difference, but pre-carbed it did turn out a little thinner than expected, so definitely aim for that 1.010-1.012 the recipe calls for.

Can't wait to start downing these in about a month!

Going to do this with mosaic and maybe exp. Grapefruit. Have the grains on hand for a 5.5 gallon batch, looking to use wy1272 since I wanted this yeast for another brew also.

Just finished brewing this today. Got low efficiency for some reason. Will be lucky to hit 5% abv. Still be a good beer or a bit thin?

Brewing batch#3 this weekend. I'll be changing the hops just to experiment. I have changed the hops several times- so for today it will be Citra and Amarillo. I do like the idea of Mosaic so I made insert it inplace of one or just include it as another layer.

so I just kicked my mosaic keg of this beer, and I have to say that while I really liked the simcoe, the mosaic was VERY tasty as well....the ppl who have tasted them was about 50/50 split on which one they liked more. I am going to brew a 4th batch this weekend, using exact same malt bill (which I find to be VERY good) and for the hops on this one, I am going to use Denali, my only dilemma is whether I liked the Wyeast 1968 or the 1056 better :/

To the OP...;THANK you for such a great malt bill.

Brew day went smooth again, hitting all my numbers, Denali for the hops, same as OP gonna use the 1968 for this one too

20170605_143526.jpg

Mine went south and it was absolutely a yeast issue on my end (never try to bring WLP002 back from the dead). I will be making this again with simcoe as the base recipe for this is perfect. Beautiful color, head retention, and just the right amount of malt to showcase hops but still feel like your drinking something more substantial than hop water. I can't wait to do this one again with fresh yeast!

Just cracked my first bottle of this and it is right up there with the best beers I've made. I pitched a 2L starter made from Conan slurry I'd harvested over 6 months ago. No worries about viability - this batch was at FG in just over a week and bottled after two.

Really clean, fresh flavors and floral hop notes. This recipe is a winner! The only change I may make for the next batch will be to carb a bit less aggressively. I have it at 2.4 volumes and it is just a bit too fizzy.

IMG_20170613_185224.jpg

+1 people raved about the Mosaic version I did. I'll be dry-hopping a Eureka! version tonight...

I know this is well after the fact but how did the Eureka! version of this turn out? I was considering the same since I have a bunch of it. What yeast did you use? I have some harvested San Diego Super Yeast on hand that I was thinking of using.

Thanks!

It was decent, but for me Eureka! is better suited for a supporting role. It has a pretty unique flavor that I think would work well with simcoe or cascade. But for something originally called "experimental pine fruit" I got no pine at all from it.

Anyone done this with huell melon? Thinking of giving it a try blended with citra, and use 1272 for the yeast.

Latest posts

Back