Runnings Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mresa641

Reaction score
How long would runnings last before being boiled if stored in a refrigerator? I would assume that it would last like any other sweetened "beverage" since it is simply sugars and water. I think a few days wouldn't hurt, however, I don't know all of the chemistry and what storing it for a few days at 38-40 degree temps would do to enzymes, sugars, etc. that would cause the beer to come out less than ideal.

I am asking because I want to store second runnings from a high gravity beer and use some harvested yeast and extra hops to make a weaker brew.

Refrigeration won't affect the sugars, and the enzymes already did their thing anyway.

The concern will be allowing any infectious entities free reign until you get around to boiling the wimpy wort. And even though it's sitting in the fridge pre-boil, byproducts of infection can affect flavor and aroma characters.

The cold temperature will certainly slow most such potential maladies, but I wouldn't push your luck beyond a day or two, and I'd be on my toes wrt sanitation...

Cheers!

[edit] ps: I'd also do a mash-out to ensure those enzymes are denaturalized and not making your thin brew even thinner...

Refrigeration won't affect the sugars, and the enzymes already did their thing anyway.

The concern will be allowing any infectious entities free reign until you get around to boiling the wimpy wort. And even though it's sitting in the fridge pre-boil, byproducts of infection can affect flavor and aroma characters.

The cold temperature will certainly slow most such potential maladies, but I wouldn't push your luck beyond a day or two, and I'd be on my toes wrt sanitation...

Cheers!

[edit] ps: I'd also do a mash-out to ensure those enzymes are denaturalized and not making your thin brew even thinner...

Your wort is full of nasty lacto and other bugs that were on the grain so sanitation is almost a non issue. The few times I've done this, I brought the wort up to a boil for a few minutes to pasturize it before storage.

Latest posts

Back