running a home brew event help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
so my uncle runs a resort in Northeast Pennsylvania, that i actually used to work at, and he has contacted me in regards to running a beer brewing event for either corporate guest s or regular guests....

If u were given this oppurtunity Howe would u run it?
Im def thinking extract since the time

Also would u have a batch made of the beer your brewing for them to try? Or just a variety of craft and hbs?

Also how much money would u charge for this event?

One of the best things I think you could do is have the beer you're going to demo on hand to let them drink while you demonstrate. That said, is this a demonstration/class or are you offering a way for others to brew with you and it will be a more hands-on approach?

The first thing I would do is get with the ABC people and find out what you can and cannot do. You wouldn't want, thru ignorance, to lose your uncle his liquor license. As I recall Pa has some pretty weird laws on beer (e.g. you can't by less than a case - do I remember that right?). These comments pertain to serving home brew. Certainly they can't object if you demonstrate home brewing but serve only beer through the resort's license unless there are strange regs about not being able to serve it outdoors or while patrons are standing or on Sunday. The diversity of stupid liquor laws on the books in this country is truly amazing. If you charge them and serve them home brew you may be in trouble. Some states allow a LHBS to give very small tastes of beer brewed by the LHBS in order to demonstrate the properties of some product they sell. Others don't. You might find yourself able to do something like that.

As for the demo itself (whether or not you serve beer, home brew or commercial): you are probably limited to extract because of the time constraints mentioned earlier. If the idea is to introduce people to brewing then this is the phase at which they will doubtless be entering the hobby if they do and so is probably most appropriate for that reason.

What kind of event is it? On Premises brewing? One-time event? Demonstration?

This will be a event that will be placed on the resorts corporate groups list as possible activities. Its very random as of now when or if it will happen. Its basically set up when a corporate group books a stay they are given a list of activities they can plan to do. I would be contacted then to run the event at the given time. I want to make it informative and demonstational. I would want them to taste some grain, smell some hops, smell some boiling wort, see some yeast (dry,liquid and washed yeast) just really get their hands involved in making some beer

The first thing I would do is get with the ABC people and find out what you can and cannot do. You wouldn't want, thru ignorance, to lose your uncle his liquor license. As I recall Pa has some pretty weird laws on beer (e.g. you can't by less than a case - do I remember that right?). These comments pertain to serving home brew. Certainly they can't object if you demonstrate home brewing but serve only beer through the resort's license unless there are strange regs about not being able to serve it outdoors or while patrons are standing or on Sunday. The diversity of stupid liquor laws on the books in this country is truly amazing. If you charge them and serve them home brew you may be in trouble. Some states allow a LHBS to give very small tastes of beer brewed by the LHBS in order to demonstrate the properties of some product they sell. Others don't. You might find yourself able to do something like that.

As for the demo itself (whether or not you serve beer, home brew or commercial): you are probably limited to extract because of the time constraints mentioned earlier. If the idea is to introduce people to brewing then this is the phase at which they will doubtless be entering the hobby if they do and so is probably most appropriate for that reason.

Yea i am def going to go extract since the time.

I would not be selling it at all and would not be accepting tips for this reason either. I would plan on having a batch already made in bottles for them to try as the demonsrtation is going on so they know what they are making tastes like.

I was asking price wise for what u would charge the resort for running this event.

Extract only unless you repeat the individual steps at various stages of completion.
IE: start a mash, and have one already done to sparge, a boil to start for hot break
and one done to rack yeast to start and one to pitch. and so on. I think you'd be better having a few finished to have them enjoy during the process.
I would think the LHBS would have connections with the suppliers to help you out,
Free advertising for them and the suppliers can bring some swag to pass out.
+1 in the ABC call ahead, We deal with them in the FD for temp permits for functions. The have been nice and helpful.

Latest posts

Back