Runaway controller...need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackFurnaceBrewing

Reaction score
Long story, [not so] short....Brewed a 10g, 1.070 rye batch over the weekend. Transferred to two separate conicals and pitched my WLP039 from a healthy starter. Unnoticed by me, one of the thermocouples pulled from the thermowell causing one heater to run nonstop from about 1:30am to 5:30 am - when I awoke to check on things.

The one controller read 97.5F. After the gamut of confusion, disbelief, denial and extreme frustration - all in 20 seconds - I scrambled to rearrange pumps, hoses and valves to get cold water running through the coils, while not disturbing the other batch. I got things cooled back down to 68F in short order. Both have now been bubbling away healthily for the past 24 hours.

I'm thinking I may have some unhealthy flavors in the "runaway" batch, though, and am considering bringing the temp back up to 72ish soon to promote an extended fermentation in the hopes that the yeast will do some cleanup after themselves. I will also age that batch a little longer in the brite tank, say 8 weeks, to help with any fusels. Any other recommendations are really welcome.

Latest posts

Back