Rum fell in my secondary!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

31FIFTY

Reaction score
Another beginner mistake, I think....

I was racking to secondary and since I don't have vodka in the house, I use rum. Come to find out that when you at tightening the airlock and the bucket lid the negative pressure tends to suck back about .5 oz of whatever is in the airlock (maybe less).

Rum is only 21% vs vodka that is like 40%. Will this contaminate my beer?

Should be no big deal. Such a small amount won't make any difference. I use rum in my air lock too.

Hmmm... Now I'm thinking about making some kind of spiced rum porter! That sounds delicious

For the future, to sterilize something the alcohol needs to be at least 81 proof, but still, it's just the air lock, so you can actually use whatever.

I was wondering why people trend to use vodka rather than starSan solution? I've got mine filled with vodka too, but i don't really know why...

Also, i could go for some rummy goodness beer right now though.

Another beginner mistake, I think....

I was racking to secondary and since I don't have vodka in the house, I use rum. Come to find out that when you at tightening the airlock and the bucket lid the negative pressure tends to suck back about .5 oz of whatever is in the airlock (maybe less).

Rum is only 21% vs vodka that is like 40%. Will this contaminate my beer?

What a horrible way to contaminate your rum.

I was mostly concerned because we've had this bottle of rum for years.

It's parrot bay coconut rum. Idk why we even have it but it's the only liquor in the house

Back