rules of pool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonzx

Reaction score
If you have been running a pool table for any length of time, then that is considered your table.
I was running a table at a local bar for more than an hour and went outside for q smoke and when i came back in about 3-4 minutes later i found someone else on the table shooting. When confronted they said they thought i left and refused to give it back even after thier game because i didnt put quarters up. Also both the shooters on the table had been in the bar while i was shooting and saw that the table was mine. It almost became a fight but my significant other insisted on leaving so we did. Seriously some people need to know the rules of the game....

Pool is serious business to alot of people that spend the time to get that good at it. If you are ignorant of common pool etiquette it is no excuse to play how you want

It's a bar, people are there to enjoy themselves. Why create drama where no malice was intended? Assault charges aren't worth having 'your' pool table.

RDWHAHB

I will respond to this with the fact that i didnt try to create the drama. I think more people need to be educated on basic pool rules and ettiquette if they want to play the game. IN ORDER TO AVOID THE CONFLICT

There is such thing as owning the table and if that cant be respected find another table at a different bar. Pool players will know what im talking about. Even though i sound uber serious about it i feel like its just a basic rule that should be knownand respected

Part of the reason I bought my own pool table for my house. I was tired of people bumping into you shooting, trying to take the table and constantly challenging for the table. Went to one bar, had 4 people challenge for the table, finally lost on the fourth, so I picked up my Q-ball to get my ID from the bar. That almost started a fight in itself.

If you have been running a pool table for any length of time, then that is considered your table.
QUOTE]

What do you mean when you say "running the table?":confused:

Playing solo?
Next challenger (quarters on the rail) must be honored?

bosco

In my area, no quarters up... you lose the table. If you go with a friend and want to play 3 games, you put 3 sets of quarters up. Someone can then come along and put their quarters up after that, then after the 3 games, winner plays the person who put up the quarters, you lose the game, you lose the table, you win the game, you win the table, get some more quarters up if you want to play with your friend again, otherwise you gotta keep playing whoever put up the quarters. Don't let the quarters run out or it's no longer your table!! Why didn't you just put your quarters up to win back the table?

Hmmm, this is a tough one, even though I generally agree with the OP. If you left and didn't come back for 3-4 minutes, and gave no indication that you were coming back (IE, your next opponent was waiting for you, next game racked, etc), then I think I lean towards the other guys. What's an acceptable amount of time to wait before starting to play? How do they know whether you left for good or not? BUT, if they did know that you were coming back in some way, then I'm on your side.

A bar is NOT a pool room. A pool room with a bar is another thing. A bar may have a coin-op table or two as well as a bowling machine or a popular video game. Table or game machine hogging rules (house rules) should be posted in order to avoid problems. Same house rules should explain common problems such as scratch penalties etc...

If it's a busy night, where there is only one or two tables/machines, and you put a roll or quarters on the rail so you can OWN a table/machine, this would be considered a no no, unless house rules allow it ( I owned two bars and hogging was not allowed..Always had to honor a challenger's quarters ).

Have the bar post the rules and if you don't like them find a place that fits you better.

bosco

I had previously asked one of the guys to shoot before and he declined. By owning the table i just meant i was winning every game so the challenger would pay in that case. Yes its not a pool hall but that doesnt mean there aren't rules and ettiquette. I think what those guys did is pretty slimey even with no qaurter.

Go to a pool hall if you want serious pool rules, a bar is for screwing around pool...seriously...

When pool halls are few and far between bar pool isnt just for ****ty players that screw around.. Thats probably you though so i guess you wouldnt understand that.

You are the exact kind of person that needs to learn the basic rules

On a coin operated table, no quarters on the rail and you walked away, you lost the table.

If it is a billiard hall where you rent the table, you can go out and smoke a cigar if you want, you rented the table do what you want, it will be open for you when you get back.

That's the way it works here.

All you had to do was put some quarters on the rail and challenge for the table, If you had been "running the table" you should easily be able to win it back.

I am of the mind that you lost the table because you left it. If no one wanted to play you and they sat watching and you left without anything designating that it was still yours what do you expect?
I have a restaurant, and if everyone leaves we think its empty, especially when the bill is paid and a tip is left then we fill the table. If they walk in 20 minutes later and they didn't leave anything there, cell phone, coat, ear ring, we expect they left.
If you were playing pool on a table for awhile, then left without anything designating that you were coming back, I have very little sympathy for you. Next time you won't do that I bet! I am sure the owner wasn't happy that the table was sitting there not making money when he had a bunch of people waiting for a table either.

The table was mine i didnt have to challenge for it anyone else who wanted to play would have to take the initiative to challenge me and put thier qaurters up. If you own the table you dont need to put anything on the table.

I have been shooting pool for over ten years competitively and thats how it works around here and 99% of the people that play know that. Idk if your talking some dumb city rules for a packed bar but thats not how its done here, theres no need for it with that 99%.

The table was mine i didnt have to challenge for it anyone else who wanted to play would have to take the initiative to challenge me and put thier qaurters up. If you own the table you dont need to put anything on the table.

Do you own the bar that the table was at?

Ha! You gave up the table when you left. If you wanted it back, win it back.

Pretty simple.

I imagine if they hadn't challenged you before, they were glad you left so they could play a friendly game of pool and not take it too seriously.

Plus bar rules here i can sit on the table as long as i want if noone can beat me. If people dont like that they are the ones who have to leave if they want to play but not against the table owner

I like to put up an extra set of my own quarters up, after the last challenger, that way they will have to beat me twice to take my table. Because if they do happen to win, they have to play the next person with quarters up, guess what, me again!

The real owner is the one that lets it sit in his bar. Similar to my kids that live in my house. If they don't put up, I make them pay for their rent. I just don't see how you "own" anything you haven't paid for.

I have a son that thinks since he put a new exhaust pipe on MY ATV, that I purchased it is HIS ATV to use at will. Nope, sorry. Move on.

I like to put up an extra set of my own quarters up, after the last challenger, that way they will have to beat me twice to take my table. Because if they do happen to win, they have to play the next person with quarters up, guess what, me again!

Most people around here would have an issue with this, as table hogging. Whats stopping you from putting 20 bucks up? Pool rules must be vastly different depending where you are shooting.

And if you put quarters up, but it skips your turn, you don't have to put up your quarters, just pick them up and move them to the last spot.

Most people around here would have an issue with this, as table hogging. Whats stopping you from putting 20 bucks up? Pool rules must be vastly different depending where you are shooting.

Like was said before, if there is money on the table, its working, you didn't leave money, a cellphone, jacket, or a wallet on the table.

Plus bar rules here i can sit on the table as long as i want if noone can beat me. If people dont like that they are the ones who have to leave if they want to play but not against the table owner

That's the way it works anywhere I've been.

But if you walk out the door, you've given the table up.

If you'd have said that you went to take a leak or to the bar to get a beer, I'd be on your side.

Leave the bar? That's quite a stretch.

The real owner is the one that lets it sit in his bar. Similar to my kids that live in my house. If they don't put up, I make them pay for their rent. I just don't see how you "own" anything you haven't paid for.

I have a son that thinks since he put a new exhaust pipe on MY ATV, that I purchased it is HIS ATV to use at will. Nope, sorry. Move on.

Owning meaning the table is spoken for by the winner gauranteeing next game. Its slang old man your translation with the atv doesnt translate like you think it does

Like was said before, if there is money on the table, its working, you didn't leave money, a cellphone, jacket, or a wallet on the table.

Who leaves stuff like that on a pool table in a bar if you do this im amazed you havent been robbed

That's the way it works anywhere I've been.

But if you walk out the door, you've given the table up.

If you'd have said that you went to take a leak or to the bar to get a beer, I'd be on your side.

Leave the bar? That's quite a stretch.

Lol so if you smoke your sol according to your rules

Yes, table hogging, isn't that what we were talking about? it's MY table!

Around here you can only speak for one game at a time. By putting two qaurters up thats a cheap little safety net. You probably think thats clever huh?

Owning meaning the table is spoken for by the winner gauranteeing next game. Its slang old man your translation with the atv doesnt translate like you think it does

Of course, in my area too, that's what it means, but doesn't mean you don't have to keep quarters up to keep your spot. You can always yank up your last set of quarters and walk away, let them have the table when you are ready to give it up. Here, the way it works, no quarters up, no table, even if you don't plan on using the quarters, because the next challenger has to do that, use his own quarters. You still gotta keep a set of quarters up to keep the table.

Listen up! Old Men with gray hair own that table. Your little ownership attitude wouldn't get too far around here. I am sure you live in a big city full of entitled people.

No one likes the pool player dbag who hogs the table all night. You're not cool, no one is impressed, get a life...

Yep. You left the bar. Why should the whole bar be at the mercy of you nicotine addiction to play pool. Take your smoke break when you don't "own" the table.

I've never seen a pool table stay idle while a guy went to have a smoke

If you are good enough to keep the table all night, why didn't you just put down a buck and win it back?

OP, let me get this straight. You didn't get your way in the bar so you decided to come on here and whine. When many folks didn't agree with you your next move was to insult them and start confrontations? Well played.

Around here you can only speak for one game at a time. By putting two qaurters up thats a cheap little safety net. You probably think thats clever huh?

The quarters are 5 and 6 long where I go to play, everyone does it.

Bc you play for free if you dont lose lol. The pool playing dbag huh? you probably just suck if you didnt then put in the time to get good like he did and beat that pool playing dbag. Or you can just call em names in the corner and feel like your cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back