Rubbermaid 1.5 gallon containers for fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyP

Reaction score
I just picked up a few of these 1.5 gallon Rubbermaid Cereal Keepers at Target for $5.25 apiece for doing some small 1-gallon SMaSH batches.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Cereal-Keeper-Clear-Red/dp/B0014CX8ZW

Does anyone have any experience with these or see any problems using them? I'm thinking that I can forego an airlock and just leave the small flap on the lid loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the batch size is really small, probably too small, but... My friends and I are getting interesting in SMaSH brewing and learning how to identify different hop and malt characteristics. I want to brew five different batches with a single malt and different hops so we can taste them all at one time. Because hop aroma drops off over time, I want to brew and ferment these in rapid succession to get the best apples-to-apples comparison. For five gallon or even 2.5 gallon batches, I just don't have enough time or space to make all that beer.

O/T, but there is a homebrew shop in Brooklyn that actually sells 1 gallon all-grain kits complete with 1 gallon glass jugs. I guess it works well for Manhattan residents who live in 500 sq. ft. studio apartments.

That is actually a good find. I've been thinking about doing some small batches for recipe experimentation/refinement and those might just work out perfectly!

I could split up wort, for example, and do three or four small batches at the same time to experiment with hop additions and adjuncts.

I like to use carlo rossi wine jugs for one gallon batches. It's eleven dollars and I get over a gallon of wine that isn't too bad.

Latest posts

Back