Rubber stopper embarrassement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy2bmerry

My hop trellis brings the boys to the yard.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had some family over yesterday and after dessert did a little tasting of some ciders I'm bulk aging (I sampled and did gravity checks on the about a week ago. The first was really tart, as it was a week ago, and the second, an apple pear cider had the rubber stopper flavor really strong, the third we sampled was a Cyser, ah sweet redemption.

The jug that was aweful gave a considerable pop when the solid stopper was removed when I sampled a week ago and popped again yesterday, though not as loudly. I know the taste is a sign that the yeast are stressed, and I used the solid bung because all signs pointed to fermentation being done.

I'm planning to put an airlock on it and see what happens. Does rubber stopper age out? There's a small amount of lees and the cider is very clear.

Last edited:
How long has it been in that jug?

Thanks, I appreciate the question!
I racked it on 1/4/16 hardly any lees right now.

image.jpg

I would get that racked asap - not because of the lees but because that is way too much headspace.
When was the cider started?

Extra headspace, following the tasting, err, I mean throwing out of samples. Started 1/4/16 wholefoods Apple juice with a quart of pear juice and cider house yeast from Brewers best. All was good ambient temps mid to low 60s. Like I said, it tasted pretty good about a week ago. Then pow rubber stopper.

I accidentally pushed a rubber bung into my 5 gallon carboy (it kept popping out). Its now floating in my cider..hoping for the best, I've read that what I've done is a pretty common beginner's mistake and isn't really an issue.

I prefer these Dew Caps that I got on Amazon to rubber stoppers. They fit 3 and 5 gal glass or plastic carboys. Since they are made for water bottles, they leave no taste.

You can drill or melt a hole in the middle, trim the edge of the hole with a sharp blade, insert a grommet, work a little silicone seal under the edges of the grommet on both sides, then let the silicone cure overnight. Next, put a little cooking oil on a fermentation lock and push it through the grommet. You now have a cap that cannot be pushed into a carboy, will not change the flavor of your cider, and makes a tight seal.

I use the caps without a fermentation lock to cap my carboys after I have cleaned them and they are ready to store till next season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back