RTD replacement cable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarMoeCur

Reaction score
Well my first electric brewery casualty on my last brew day. I had kettle that temperatures were jumping all over the place. I started trouble shooting by checking all the connections. I found out real quick that I got a bad RTD cable. I think the bad connection is in the spring lock connector or the wires are broken some where.

I took apart the XLR connectors and re-soldered the connections. Put volt meter on it and still got 2 dead inputs. I tired to take apart the locking connector piece but couldn't figure out how to get to the contacts inside. Can these even be taken apart? I don't know.

I do know is either a .01 cent bad solder or .05 cents worth of new wire. I hate to have to order a new cable for such a cheap fix. A replacement cable is 10 bucks plus shipping at AuberIns. Who else carries these cables? I've ran a few searches with no luck on other retailers.

Thank you in advance for helping.

My wire was bad so I got a Teflon covered wire off eBay for $4 (shipped from China..:(.) and soldered the connectors on -worked perfectly.

My wire was bad so I got a Teflon covered wire off eBay for $4 (shipped from China..:(.) and soldered the connectors on -worked perfectly.

So you were able to take the wire out of the Spring lock piece and solder on the wire? OR did you just cut the wire and solder on a new piece?

The wires are so thin I don't want to pull on them to hard to separate the blue female piece from the spring lock.

I'm not quite sure from your description if what you're describing is what I'm thinking of, but typically if you've got a multi-pin connector plug, the pins are locked in place and require an extraction tool compatible with the plug head and pin size. Then, if those pins are crimped instead of soldered, you would also need a replacement pin and appropriate crimping tool (or possibly solder).

Mine was a pt100 cable. I downloaded a pdf from Auber which showed how to disassemble to repair. Perhaps your cable is different

I have a Auber PT100 cable. I'm trying to take apart the quick connect end that attaches to the probe body. Where did you get the pdf? I've been looking on Auberins no luck. I found the manuals link but no PT100 cable.

whooh I got dejavu or there was a thread just like this last week? the whole sensor is only $7-12 if you buy it elsewhere...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTD-Pt100-o...hash=item2a8a51f82b:m:mOK5RpSmmIQowTWeih7HVKA

if its the actual sensor and not just the cable auber should replace it at no charge since its defective.

You already figured this out but the stainless braided cable is cheap garbage with like 2 strands of wire for each cable...
these sensors with the detachable cables are as little as $7 shipped elsewhere so the quality suffers regardless how much markup you pay unless they are going to just keep replacing them for free its not worth paying. your better off buying 2 or 3 and still saving while having extras...

the telfon shielded cables are way superior.
I have been using these for years with no issues..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTD-PT100-T...946264?hash=item280fedfa98:g:ll0AAOSwkzhZv1Ne

This is the cable I bought and it works fine - doesn’t kink and start acting crazy. https://www.ebay.com/itm/142225152254

I figured it out. Had to hold the blue piece with pliers and unscrew the bottom piece. Just like I thought had two broken wires right at the solder joint. 5 minutes with the soldering iron and some extra heat shrink to help support the weak area. Now, I'm worried about my other two. Those little thin wires are supporting the entire quick release weight. It is for sure the weak spot in their design. I'm surprised it took this long to fail.

I add the links to my Favorites. Going to order a extra for when they fail again. I have 1.5" probes will the 2" probes fit inside "T" fittings?

Latest posts

Back