Rouse yeast or wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreddyMar3

Reaction score
I made my first lager 2 days ago, a Vienna Lager Braggot. Everything went fine on brew day and I had my ghetto rigged, temp controlled conical set at 52F. The conical is in an uninsulated garage and yesterday I unplugged the pump that circulates the warm water that maintains temp in order to tighten a fitting. I forgot to plug the pump back in and the temp dropped down to 42F. I plugged it back in this morning and got the temp back up to 52F. Will one day in the 40’s be enough to cause any problems? Should I consider pulling the yeast off the bottom and pouring it back in the top or just let it go?

I should also mention that my conical lid seems to have issues with getting the seal air tight so my blow off isn't always bubbling even if there is fermentation and I therefore can't count on that as an indicator of fermentation. It's on my "to fix" list.

Thanks in advance.

Wait. It may take over 24 hours for the wort to warm back to fermentation temperature and restart the yeast.

Back