Rotten egg smell??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPS

Reaction score
I whipped up abatch of hard cider 7 days ago. With safale US-05 dry yeast the OG was 1.065. Well the past 2 days its been smelling like rotten eggs in my closet. I read on the forums this is hydrogen sulfide and is normal and that i should add some yeast nutrient. Well today i did just that added some yeast nutrient and took a hydro reading in the process it was 1.020. I Manned up and took a gulp of the sample it did not taste as bad as it smelt. Well i was reading about hydrogen sulfide on the internet and it says this stuff is a deadly gas. Is it safe to breath this stuff i took some big whiffs taking off the fermenter top. And more IMPORTANTLY will i be ok after taking a gulp of the sample is it safe to drink this stuff? I'm a bit worried now.

It's sulfur being driven off. Fermentation smells awful at times. You'll be fine. The fact that you're smelling it means it's getting OUT of your beer.

The problem is, now that you have mixed in more yeast nutrient, the mixing process may have oxygenated the cider. That is why I suggested earlier that you just let it sit and wait it out.

I didn't really mix it in i boiled a small amount of water and added the yeast nutrient to that after it cooled a bit then added that to the primary didn't really mix or shake the cider but is the sample i drank ok to drink with that rotten egg smell i mean i feel fine .

Back