Rotbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmith32

Reaction score
I was in the lovely region of Franconia (Nuernberg) last week (prior to the winter storms that paralyzed the European transport system!) and had some Rotbier at Hausbrauerei Altstadthof.

I really enjoyed this beer. It reminded me a little of an alt, but it didn't really taste a lot like anything else I'd had previously. Perhaps I tasted a little bit of smokiness or earthiness that I would attribute to a rauchbier or maybe even a scottish ale?!? I don't know. I'd had a bit of gluhwein prior to drinking the rotbier, so it's possible my taste buds were a bit off.

Anyone have knowledge of this beer and/or recipe suggestions?

Jason

The lone review on BA agrees with you on the smoke character (more than a year ago, so it must be a standard part of the beer): http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3944/48814

Try making an alt or Vienna lager with a pound or two of rauch malt (or a few ounces of peat if you want to be a bit crazy). Hard to say if that’s what they do or if it is a weird house character from their yeast/equipment.

Thanks for the link!

I'd mostly agree with the BA reviewer, except I didn't find it difficult to finish at all!

Jason

Latest posts

Back