Root beer recipes using roots and herbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virtualpaul

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for root beer recipes using roots, herbs, spices (not extracts).

Please spam me with your best!

Also if you know any online stores where I can buy the roots, herbs, spices.

I just put up a thread on my experience this past week brewing root beer only using roots, herbs, and spices.

I did have a hard time finding recipes, but pieced things together over time and gave it a shot. The recipe still needs a few tweeks, but what I brewed tastes great.

I was able to purchase everything between my own LHBS and the supermarket. I believe most of it could also be sourced with northern brewer or midwest as well.

I just put up a thread on my experience this past week brewing root beer only using roots, herbs, and spices.

I did have a hard time finding recipes, but pieced things together over time and gave it a shot. The recipe still needs a few tweeks, but what I brewed tastes great.

I was able to purchase everything between my own LHBS and the supermarket. I believe most of it could also be sourced with northern brewer or midwest as well.

Thanks for the recipe. Is it similar to any commercial root beers? (Mug, Barqs, A&W, ...)

The recipe I based it off of was originally a Virgil's clone. It's a lot different than your normal commercial brews. Another tweak I would add to the list on the other thread is to drop the Star Anise from 4 pods to 3 pods, as I've noticed the Anise has a bit too strong of an aftertaste.

Hope it helps.

The recipe I based it off of was originally a Virgil's clone. It's a lot different than your normal commercial brews. Another tweak I would add to the list on the other thread is to drop the Star Anise from 4 pods to 3 pods, as I've noticed the Anise has a bit too strong of an aftertaste.

Hope it helps.

Thanks. I like Virgil's so I may give it a try!

Back