Root beer recipe / method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad2157

Reaction score
I’m trying my 2nd go at making a batch of root beer with my son. The last time I made a batch, it tasted great, but it lost all of it’s carbonation when pouring (all foam). Here’s what I did before.

I made a 5g batch made with Gnome brand root beer extract, 2lbs brown sugar, 2lbs white sugar, 16 oz. light corn syrup, and a dab of pure vanilla extract. Force carb'd @ 40psi for 3 days in a corny keg, then brought pressure down to 30 psi. It was set at 43 degrees in my fridge. I used the ball lock disconnect fitting to 30' of 3/16" I.D. line connected to a picnic / cobra tap for dispensing to try to keep foam down.

Is there anything obvious that doesn’t look right with my recipe or how I carb’d it / served it? Do I need to pick one pressure and leave it the same the entire time when force carbing and serving? (I’m used to carbing regular beer at a higher psi for faster carbonation, then lowering to serving psi.)

I would like to use the same recipe again if possible, since it tasted great. I am thinking about getting a perlick 650ss flow control faucet with ball lock adapter just for serving this straight from the keg (no lines at all). I recently bought one for pulling samples off my corny when force carbing my regular beer and it works great, no foam at all even in a higher carbed beer.

Last edited:
It shounds over carbed.

I have made ginger ale. It should be somewhat similar. I force carb with 30 psi, shake the keg vigorously and then put it in the fridge at about 40 degrees and set the co2 at about 10 psi. I only had 5 foot of 3/16th line on that one. No problems.

I like you recepie, I’ll try it.

(EDIT) After reading other posts on soda it looks like mine was under carbed. It tasted great though.

Last edited:
For soda, I use 1 foot per every 1 psi on the regulator, and it takes more than 3 days to fully carb up well. 30 psi sounds about right, though, with 30' of 3/16" beer line. I don't think a flow control faucet will work as well as it would with a lower carbed liquid like beer, but I could be wrong. Changing the pressure down to serve may work briefly (like at a party), but should create more foaming overall since the pressure has to go back up for the soda to stay carbed.

Thanks for the replies! It will be later this week before I get to make it, but I’ll see how it turns out this time.

Back