Root Beer Balancing Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidBoike

Reaction score
While I'm waiting for my first batch of beer, I tried making root beer with Sprechers syrup. I'm having a devil of a time getting the system balanced for that, however.

Now, I did my research. I looked specifically at this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/root-beer-how-force-carb-77789/

So I know that sodas need to be carbed at 3.5-4.0 atmospheres, and with my keezer at 38 degrees that's about 25psi, and I know you need a LOT of 3/16" ID tubing to balance that out, and that the published estimates of resistance for 3/16 tubing of 3psi/foot are generally wrong.

To get a ~1psi pour, I first figured 24psi resistance to balance, divided by published 3psi/ft = 8ft, double that because estimates are wrong, and then add 2 ft because why not, to get 18 feet, and I was getting all foam and flat root beer, plus the cobra tap wasn't containing the pressure so I was getting excessive dripping.

So next I decided to take @Yooper's advice and appended an additional 14ft of tubing (with a double-barb joiner) to get 32 total feet root beer line. Yooper said 25-30ft but he was also talking about 35psi so I figured I would be more than fine, but I'm STILL shooting off a foam geyser!

How far do I go, or should I consider that something else might be wrong? Do I start to doubt that my regulator is accurate? Or just slap on another 30 feet and keep up this guess and check game?

The barb junction could be the problem as it creates a break in the line. I use 30' of 3\16 line at 30psi and my pours are great.
BTW, Yooper is a she😉

I use 20' of line and it's still a little fast. So 30 sounds better? Worth one more try.

Latest posts

Back